Starling Discussion & Feedback

The only solid reason for checking your report is fraud and identity theft

1 Like

Starling is out with a set of video adverts, they are all a lot of fun but this oneā€™s my favourite.

5 Likes

Thats a nice ad i have to say :slight_smile:

I rarely come across these types of ads in the wild as I use an AdBlocker, but have to say theyā€™ve done a fairly decent job here. Just looked at their YouTube channel to watch the rest and have to say some of them sound a lot more scripted and awkward than others, but theyā€™ve definitely hit all the key features and demographics.

Iā€™m eager to see what Monzo come up with, as I know they are planning a big advertising campaign soon. Seeing other Fintech banks getting ahead on the advertising race makes me wonder whether the general public will get bored of hearing about features like real-time notifications and bill-splitting. Hopefully Monzo will be able to pull out something that reflects the true identity of the brand and not just the features. Think of it as ā€œhead vs. heartā€ since weā€™re in the Starling threadā€¦ :monzo: :hot_coral_heart:

1 Like

All the advertising stuff reminds me of the wave of brands advertising in Podcasts and YouTube.

More adverts than I can even count for Casper Mattresses, Hello Fresh, Squarespace, Skillshare and all the rest.

Wonder if the Fintech lot are about to get all up in my podcasts.

Iā€™ve just sat and watched all of these new adverts and Iā€™ve gotta say, in my opinion, they are awful.

I canā€™t stand the whole ā€˜actor talks to camera about a productā€™ approach, it feels too fake for me to buy into it.

I also canā€™t stand the music in the background of them :rofl:

4 Likes

Nice adsā€¦ much better than Nationwideā€™s singing sisters :))

Looks like are trying to appeal older then whats usually expected from a consumer Fintech. Have they brought any TV time or is a web only campaign?

All of their adverts seem to target a slightly older audience (certainly the video adverts Iā€™ve seen).

Makes sense to target people who will likely have more money I suppose (although Iā€™ve seen some snapchat ads as well).

Havenā€™t seen any on TV, the closest was the ā€œnakedā€ advert they had at the cinema which wasā€¦ Differentā€¦

1 Like

I find them cringeworthy, but thatā€™s almost certainly because Iā€™m not the audience :face_with_thermometer:

Good on starling for identifying their targets and going all out with something memorable though

1 Like

Hmā€¦ how old the average Starling customer is? 40s?

Suddenly l feel ancient. R-

Anyone who has a Animoji profile picture automatically gets 10 years knocked off their age @RogerB :joy:

2 Likes

I am the target audience (full Starling user) and I find them naff. More like a GCSE project than a C21st tech company. ā€œI borrowed a grand and bought a bathroom!ā€ Wow! Aspirational!

And Iā€™m queer as folk but a same sex couple in banking adverts is now most definitely a massive cliche. If weā€™re not opening joint accounts in the comfort of our own home, weā€™re hugging horses on the beach or proposing in the street.

7 Likes

Must say that it is hard to keep up!

Not so long ago advertisers would be getting much worse grief for the opposite

A progress of sorts

Oh itā€™s definitely progress, of sorts, but when these same banks canā€™t get their heads past trad gendered titles itā€™s not as progressive as it appears.

3 Likes

I also found them some of the most middle class ads Iā€™ve ever seen (and I say that as a full signed up member of the Metropolitan Liberal Elite)

2 Likes

They forgot the Subaru! That would have been truly awesomeā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Anyone know what this teaser is about? Euro accounts?!

vending

3 Likes

Very kind Nick, but you already took about 15 off. Any further reduction and Iā€™ll be eligible for a young savers account somewhere. R-

2 Likes