Starling Discussion & Feedback

Not yet. Anne has been trailing something different that’d have the same effect as paying from a bills pot for months but like most Starling ideas it seems to be taking forever to come to fruition.

Their Goals/Spaces function does let you segregate money, though. And has the advantage of offsetting against your overdraft if you’re into that sort of thing.

1 Like

I wonder if the credit card which is due soon will take up that kind of functionality, so rather than splitting off planned payments and bills, you’ll instead use the credit card to split off everyday elective card spending?

Perhaps tied in with just one line of credit, like where Starling’s overdraft and loan features are linked, and some clever accounting in the app, so you essentially just ‘settle up’ your spending at the end of the month whilst debits happen in the background from the main section?

2 Likes

That would be exceptional.

I’d add just one thing: putting your discretionary spend in a pot/goal/space and clearly offset against the credit card so it’s out of the way until you settle up.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw that being part of the “clever accounting” bit. It would fit with Starling’s offset borrowing features.

I’d even go with a zero-day interest-free credit card for that function, so I end up paying for that functionality (like loan interest is separate from offset overdraft interest but still within the one lending amount).

Or pay a Plus-style monthly fee for the account to make the credit card interest-free for a period, which would take Starling into the paid-for profitability zone.

2 Likes

This just came through email. Interesting read how Starling has been performing and how they are heading to profitability by end of 2020

This was posted already, two weeks ago. You may wish to read the discussion from when it was published.

1 Like

Didn’t notice it. Just got an email today. Cheers

1 Like

But they also announced they’re working on the following-

Website banking
An under 16s account
Different colour cards for for joint accounts

3 Likes

I wonder if , or how this could affect Starlings new business accounts that they have onboarded during this scheme, and Im not suggesting that Starling dont have any more funds from the taxpayer to hand out to the new business accounts, maybe Starlings 1bn of taxpayer loans isn’t classed as “small lenders” :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Website is exciting.

I don’t know what Starling’s application backlog for these loans is, but I’d expect they’ll just start rejecting applications when the money dries up.

They appear to have gained many new business accounts by being part of the scheme, but I’d be sceptical how long many of the newly gained businesses will remain. No doubt they’ll have gained a significant amount of new customers who will stick around, but I’d also expect they’ve also gained many who just want the loan and thought Starling was their best/only route due to issues elsewhere.

1 Like

If starling beat monzo to the punch on both of these id expect them to catch up to monzo alot faster than we all expected.

How nice is it also to know whats the medium term aims, couldnt even guess what monzo are doing at the moment never mind want to achieve before the end of the year.

How the turn tables…

2 Likes

A website would be amazing for Monzo.

3 Likes

From an outside perspective, Monzo appear to be throwing the minimum possible version of various things to see what sticks. Unfortunately, the pace of development has slowed and many promising things have yet to be fleshed out (such as basic banking, payee management, etc.)

Personally, I’m not surprised that Starling is continuing on a relatively slow but steady pace as it has always done. However, I am surprised that Monzo has lost their pace of innovation and is beginning to fall behind on technology of all things.

That said, things are clearly changing inside Monzo and it will be interesting to see what this leads to.

3 Likes

there was a post about Monzo business website some while ago that only needed a “flick of the switch” to implement for CAs :man_shrugging: …scratching head emoji …

“could be easily adapted”

1 Like

This seems to be the route Starling are going actually, with online business banking already available and personal ‘coming soon’.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if you have to keep a personal account open in order to retain use of a joint account?

No idea

Monzo Joint Account user(s) here - not that I’ve tried to cancel my Personal Account (or that my wife has tried to cancel hers either), but I’m guessing you can’t.

The structure of Monzo (and Starling tbh) is based on the user which has access to a Personal/Joint/Business account - starting with the Personal account which is the ‘base’ account and built on.

Legacy banks treat this layering differently by basing it on an account rather than a user. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Source: Monzo - “Sign up is a breeze You’ll both need a regular Monzo account already.
Source: Starling - “As long as you’ve both got a Starling personal account

4 Likes

Some news from Starling has arrived in my inbox today.

Pricing changes to existing services from 4th November

We’re introducing some new fees that come into effect on 4th November, but they’ll only affect you if you use these features.

Updates to the terms for Personal and Joint Accounts (GBP Accounts only):

• On the rare occasion that you need to send a CHAPS payment, it will cost £20 per payment. CHAPS is a payment system for sending large, same-day payments. You can continue to send payments via Faster Payments for free.

Updates to the terms for Personal and Joint Accounts (including GBP and Euro Accounts):

• Replacement cards will be charged at £5 per card. You’ll get one free replacement per year, and we won’t charge you when your old card expires.

New products for Personal and Joint Current Accounts

We’re excited to be launching a number of new products very soon. As such, we’ve updated our terms to outline how we’ll be charging for them. These new products are optional, and you’ll only be charged if you choose to subscribe.

• A children’s Space and debit card (Starling Kite) will be charged at £2 per card per month.

• A new version of our Connected card, with extra features, will be charged at £2 per card per month. If you already have a Connected card, it’ll continue to be free.

• An additional GBP account (available on Personal and Joint Accounts) will be charged at £2 per account per month.

9 Likes