Starling Discussion & Feedback

Some interesting and useful sounding features there. Look forward to seeing how they turn out. Not sure how I feel on the pricing though. Depends on the extra features.

Big fan of being able to have a second current account, though again, not sure I like the idea of paying a monthly fee for it. Depends on the new features and how much value they will add.

The timing and their strategy to paying for cards is quite clever following Monzo’s announcement and plan, and the criticisms.

2 Likes

Is this the long awaited alternative to bills pots?

3 Likes

Interesting. I’m sure a lot of people will pick up on the fee for replacing cards. I’m sure the High Street will welcome the excuse to begin introducing per-event fees now overdrafts are reigned in.

Kids’ Space and debit card, additional account (I’d pay for that to separate spending and bills, if the budgeting is combined across the user) and Connected Card with extra functionality.

Recent tweets suggest internet banking and separate coloured Joint cards are imminent too. Good work Starling.

6 Likes

Starling Kite is such an awful name, although the functionality may be welcome. That’s cheaper than GoHenry (£2.99 per month, per child), but I’d imagine Starling have not included any “do your homework” features for this? Still, I’ll hold fire on saying if it’s worth the fee until we see it in action. It might be good.

3 Likes

One thing I will say is that Starling’s email is head and shoulders above the one I received from Monzo about their changes this week.

It’s much more clear and concise.

15 Likes

Starling has done a simple statement. Agreed. But where’s the mention of replacement due to fraud or damage? Is that part of the free replacement? I guess we have to assume it is.

Of course, we could have discussed the minutiae of the card replacement rules on their forum, if they had one. So we don’t get a chance, whereas Monzo were here to answer questions, so… :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

Id love to know what makes it different from a connected card, will the child be able to see the balance on an app etc?

Could this be the starling version of bills pot but get CRAs? Raises a good point on if wed be happy to pay for a bills pot. dont think i would tbh.

It’ll have a picture of a kite on the card I guess

4 Likes

I can see people applying for Connected cards now, while they are still free.

I wonder if the new features will extend to the current cards

According to terms and conditions there will be £2 fee for connected card for customers who opened card from 3 September

2 Likes

Starling Kite for the child connected card

Well there is a proven connection, sadly

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I assumed the opposite, due to decisions previously made by Starling. It does indeed look like a lack of clarity, but history suggests if it’s not mentioned then it isn’t covered; that is, beside being stolen or lost any replacement will be charged.

I’d love to be proven wrong, though I still disagree with the addition of charges beyond traditional banks as there’s no consumer benefit to this and the big banks will likely take the opportunity to copy these.

2 Likes

4 November I assume.

It will be difficult to introduce the charge from today…

2 Likes

It will stay free for customers who opened Connected Card till 3 September all new customers will be charged £2

1 Like

Where is this stated?

From Starling TCs

Subscription service - Connected Card: for customers who have subscribed to the Connected Card (debit card) on or after 3 September 2020: for each Connected Card Goal and corresponding Connected Card you order, we charge a non-refundable subscription fee of £2 per month (paid in advance).

2 Likes

Got mine when they first came out during lockdown.

Was useful then, but unused since.

Would not pay for the feature, I don’t think.

I ordered one in the app today and it didn’t mention a charge… so I think they will find that difficult to do.

Edit: And their help pages still says it’s free as well.

2 Likes

Information about all fees

2 Likes

I just found this in the app. Looks like paid-for services are part of Starling’s route to profitability.