Starling Discussion & Feedback

(Alex Sherwood) #679

:point_up:

Doesn’t that imply it IS due to the vetting of images?

(Alex Sherwood) #681

That was my interpretation yes.

@Rat_au_van, good job I didn’t edit my blog! :joy:

@alexs, thanks for spotting the typo - it was done on the iPad so I’m quite happy there aren’t many more!

(Emma (still not the app)) #683

I’m off to hunt down the reply I was given

(Emma (still not the app)) #684

Found it! But I misremembered the exact context. Sorry :pensive: I’d asked if it was the COps would see the image and that was what was replied to, not the overall question. My bad

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #685

Was it denied? This post certainly seems to imply that.

Was that the post you were searching for @nickh?

Edit: Ah @alexs got to it first.

(Jack) #686

I’ve recently noticed some screenshots that appear to include a camera icon for choosing a photo for a pot. The most recent one below:

It appears it’s in the works :camera_flash:

(Marcel Ruhf) #687

Oh nice - would have made a nice surprise (if you hadn’t spotted it) :smile:

(Jack) #688

I’ll keep it to myself next time :zipper_mouth_face: :grin:

(Andy Barnes) #689

Random question, as I’m terrible at working out interest! Is that calculation right? Surely if you’re only putting the last £150 in in December you wouldn’t get 1.2% on everything? That suggests that over the year I save £1800, and right at the end, the interest is applied? Or have I lost the plot.

I know these are WIP, but just curious as will help me when working out interest in the future. :slight_smile:

My quick calculations would suggest that the images are wrong - But I am by no means an expert.

I’d ignore the actual figures, as I don’t think they gave it much thought (intentionally).

(Andy Barnes) #691

Cool. I’ll ignore. Thanks for the heads up. Some online calculator suggests it’d be closer to £1811.70.

Yeah, as you said initially, someone has just done a quick calculation on 1.2% of £1800 - Which is fair enough (but wrong).

I believe you’d receive £11.74 interest for the year - But again, I’m no expert on this!

(Alex Meijer) #693

they still charge money to transfer from EUR -> GBP

(Kyle Risi) #694

Everything you said is true for me too. Also all the things you need will come in time, with the added bonus of being apart of the journey getting there. Voicing ideas and seeing them come to life week on week is exciting to me. I love this collaboration between the community and the product team. This is the reason I chose Monzo over Starling.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #695

Monzo, any chance that, as a bank, when you show pictures with actual real maths involved you can get someone who can do the sums to double check the figures please?

It looks ridiculous that a real-life bank doesn’t understand how to demonstrate compound interest on regular savings.

(Alex Sherwood) #696

You’re overthinking it in my opinion, the numbers are there for illustrative purposes & everyone knows that the Making Monzo account is for sharing incomplete functionality. There was another preview that showed a 404 in the app during a flow :man_shrugging:

I’d rather see a preview than have Monzo waste time making things look pretty / not share the preview because there’s flaws.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #697

Personally, I think the developers are still representing a real bank. It takes two minutes to ask someone in the office to check the figures. I’d expect any organisation to get basic maths correct on any publicity channel.

The developers were attempting to demonstrate how interest calculation would look. To me, they do actually need to get the calculation right.

If I had to actually think about it - I’m torn.

On the one hand, it only took me 2 seconds to google it, find a compound interest calculator and work out the figures.

On the other… I appreciate them putting out sneak peaks, and if they were hesitant to release future sneak peaks because of figures (appreciate Monzo is a bank, but these guys are designers and marketers who are doing this), I’d be disappointed if they stopped completely.

It would almost be better to remove the figures, or replace them with clearly incorrect figures (eg. £12345).

Someone has tried to work it out, and done it incorrectly - It’s not a biggie for me, but if someone has to ask “is this correct”, because it is “close”, then perhaps it’s something to consider for future.