Someone phished me

I noticed Experian and credit karma and ClearScore offer a monthly fee for data protection? Is this any good?

Try not to worry and just keep checking your credit files, be wary of anyone else contracting you with personal details as they could be tricking you into something further.

So long as you keep an eye out you’ll more then likely be fine.

£6.99 a month for the Experian one I don’t think is good value for money. For £25 CIFAS protection lasts for 2 years and works at a deeper level than CRAs. Of course not all lenders check CIFAS but I also don’t know how much CRAs themselves can do. If I was really worried I’d go for CIFAS and continue checking my free reports but really it’s up to you to decide what’s enough to give you peace of mind

1 Like

Thank you for all the help.

Just say worst case happens: will I be forced to pay any of the damage such as a credit card or loan?

Not unless you do it yourself, no.

Keep a record of what happened today/recently (this forum topic is a good ‘archive’) so that it can be presented in the future to add to evidence if things should go wrong and it is not because of you.

1 Like

Does this keep forever if I save the link?

Yes unless the forum gets closed at any point

Ignore the person above they purposefully disrupt discussions and are the last person you should be taking advice from. Just check out their post history :wink:

You’ve been given solid advice already, I wouldn’t worry to much about it now you’re aware :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel you.

Something similar happened to be and I’ve been scared ever since each day I check my score, emails just in fear.

Chances are it could have just been a special someone thinking he works for the company you was supposed to get help from and asked for these details thinking he could help by passing it onto the real support.

Don’t think to negatively. I’m sure (not trying to scare you) that worse details have been leaked.

If someone does ever happen please return, we’re all kind here and will try to help as the community we are.
If you don’t wish to return please don’t worry as they wanted your information for something.

You was asking if someone could get a loan in your name: Yes they can do

Will you have to pay it?: No, you’ll simply sign up to cifas and contact action fraud who’ll give you a reference and then write to the company along with the reference.

Will they ask further details?: More than likely they’ll need evidence it wasn’t you who got the loan/credit.

How will you get evidence?: The reference, bank statements and this forum you made, also the chat of the suspected scammer (if I was you I’ll print it all off now incase it vanishes)

If they don’t help: contact the ombudsman and maybe seek legal help.

If this damages your score which it will do without a doubt if they did something ask for it to be removed.

1 Like

Although not ideal to give it out many people probably know your name, address & DOB. If asked for this again by anyone challenge why it’s needed & refuse if you’re in any way uncomfortable.

2 Likes

:cry: surprisingly lots don’t as I never receive any birthday cards :joy:

To my understanding I thought it was the real support team therefore I was tricked into giving it to them.

As people say is the worst they can do just a loan?

Didn’t Equifax get breached in 2017?
If you was part of that service much more information was leaked than this so honestly don’t worry

Even that’s a stretch.

They have no drivers licence ID or Passport ID. No recent utilities or bank statments and they’d have to convince the bank to pay money into an account that isn’t owned by you.

Funny how you’re happy to act like this but a few weeks ago you wanted help and reassurance because Monzo are closing your account.

1 Like

Maybe that caused them to become unwound and act this way? Anyway, I feel like if they continue, they’re headed for the banhammer

2 Likes

Would be good if the banhammer was swung already

2 Likes

So instead of engaging with that person and carrying on arguing other pretty much nothing, just mute him / her

Carrying on the conversation just gives them what they want

What’s worse is that it took 3 edits to make that list over 30 minutes. :rofl:

1 Like

I think I’ve got an update.

The customer support team rang me? I think ash was correct it was someone who thinks he works for them and just passed my information on.
Now hopefully nothing malicious happens

:eyes: