Smartwatches!

I have had an Apple Watch for the past two years. Series 0 purchased in the States in 2015. Got the S3 on release day and it is so much snappier. Usually have the modular face, the Siri face for me would be utterly useless, but currently have the Toy Story Toybox because… TOY STORY!!

C3C1FE62-79D7-43DA-BFCF-A232EAE7DF71

Carrot Weather is the only complication I have on there, mainly due to being outside at work a lot.

2 Likes

This thread has got me thinking what would I get as an upgrade to my huawei, and really there’s nothing out there. If it has one fault it’s too big… so you’d think a newer one would be thinner… after all everyone is going to be going for thinner, right?

Nope. Every next gen watch I’ve seen is actually bigger. They add pointless numeric dials around the outside, and buttons that don’t do anything…

All I want is: 1. preferably round, 2. decent stainless steel case, 3. decent strap, 4. around £150-£200 - ie. exactly what I have now, but thinner (half the thickness if they could manage it), and maybe with NFC. This should be easy ~3 years since I got my first smartwatch… progress being what it is, but smart watches really haven’t progressed.

The original Huawei Watch was indeed a beast. It managed to be the most fully featured Android Wear watch for a good 18 months from release. I don’t understand how badly they messed it up with the second one, but then their CEO openly admitted that he doesn’t see the point in smartwatches!

Maybe the Misfit Vapor would be a good update? It’s due to come out this month.

Does look like it might be nice… but 14mm thick… :disappointed:

True. It is nice having a thin watch. The LG Watch Style which I have is only 10mm. 14mm might be a bit much, I agree.

You use the same phone number as your iPhone.

On the note of this: I have the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular and honestly it’s been so much better with LTE. I leave my iPhone at home lots if I’m popping out, and I can still communicate if needed.

When streaming comes to Apple Music via the Watch I can pop my AirPods in and stream any song directly from my Watch with no iPhone needed at all - can’t wait.

1 Like

I really like the look of the 2nd one! What’s wrong with it?!

1 Like

Ha, you have the same watch face as me. Toy Story and Carrot complication.

1 Like

I had the LG Urbane but changed to the Samsung Gear S3 a few months back (which is why I want Samsung Pay).
I did like Android Wear, I kind of even preferred it - just about. But the fitness tracking stuff just wasn’t developed enough for it to be a Fitbit replacement (which is what I wanted).

I do have a hard time finding watch faces that I really like that display everything I want.

20171024_110713

Sounds like the fitbit ionic is up your street. It’s a nice looking watch with loads of battery life, but very fitness focused.

Don’t forget you can now use Starling on it :rofl:

2 Likes

…and it appears pretty much no other bank Fitbit Pay has launched in the UK, but you probably can't use it yet | TechRadar

Teehee “It’s just with one very small bank for now” :smiley:

2 Likes

I see Starling getting smashed with that line all day now :joy_cat:

2 Likes

I mean it doesn’t help that they haven’t released even an idea of the number of users so they can’t really dispute it :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry to grave dig but I was wondering how accurate you find its heart rate monitoring? I’ve got a Garmin VivoSmart HR for this which seems prette accurate when it comes to heart rate but its sleep tracking isn’t great

The Jawbone?

Well, it was super accurate, but then the band snapped and you can’t repair them. And Jawbone went bust, so there’s no warranty now.

I’m looking into getting a Fitbit Alta HR.

I like actual watches too much for a smart watch - I do wear a fitbit on the other wrist but that just looks like a wrist band…

1 Like

I’m the opposite. Never wore a watch in my life before I had a smartwatch. Knowing the time isn’t that important to me… Twitter alerts, however :sunglasses::wink:

5 Likes

Same here. I’m just happy my Garmin correctly shows the monzo :beer: emoji

Yes that is nice. I have an awesome Seiko Astron. Smart watches are a gadget too far.