Smartwatches!

You can use Fi on an iPhone, you just have to activate it on a Pixel or Nexus first.

1 Like

Project Fi is available only for accounts in the US.

Just tried to sign up, got this instead. I guess I can make a new account with an US address but still we’re already off to a bad start… :sob:

Oh yeah, it is US only. But if you are in the US, you can activate the Fi SIM on a Nexus/Pixel, link it to your Google account, and then take it out and pop it in an iPhone.

Nope, not in the US unfortunately. This is sad as I was looking forward for a non-scammy alternative to the existing carriers I could recommend to my friends just like I’m doing with :monzo: on the banking side (and much as I’d love to give them my own SIMs it would end up being extremely expensive for the time being).

Beautifully terrible piece of kit!
Shall expand on my comment…

I purchased a series 1 as well. But found battery life tres annoying if you’re a semi to power user. Very hypocritical as I use automatic watches and switch on weekends which means having to manually reset the time.

Notifications are fun but 99% more usable on your phone, which is never more than 1 second away. Found notifications on hand increased my daily time spent checking notfications… and we’re all trying to cut screen time down.

Apple Pay on tube is fun, but slower than card - still

Heart rate monitor isn’t accurate - though do realise it has been commended recently for saving some lives on early identification of heart attacks or was it a stroke

Android Wear watches sadly are still pretty fugly… apologies… my personal opinion… I think it’s quite prehistoric for a person to want to wear a highly refined expensive piece of kit on the wrist which simply tells the time, however android goes the opposite and makes me think of my teenager days … (however if you like expression, a purple strap on a black face definitely peacocks in a positive light)

I do think for runners to be able to have data through sim and the ability to play music and track progress is both safe and useful… otherwise I think we’re still waiting for the breakthroughs which will lead to further adoption.

1 Like

I only really use mine to read texts and E-Mails or to see notifications whilst in meetings, I got it within days of launch hence Series 0 and yeah it’s slow and shit BUT I find it useful, I would like the Series 3 just coz Series 3 but yeah there are quite a few negatives with the first gen watch that I hope smooths out with latest model.

3 Likes

Yes! A smartwatch thread! I am here for this :clap:

I recently upgraded from an Apple Watch ‘Series 0’ (42mm Stainless Steel) to the Apple Watch Series 3 (42mm Aluminium, GPS + 4G); I absolutely love it. I’m big on using it for fitness and having GPS + 4G means I can leave my phone at home when I go out for a run with the dog. I can pop my AirPods in and stream music and track the run all from the Watch without having to bring my giant phone with me :raised_hands:

Series 3 is significantly faster than the original I had, and the battery life is amazing; so far I’ve found that I take my Watch off charge at 6am then put it back on at around 10pm and I still have about 80% left. I’m super happy with it.

I tend to switch between these watch faces :point_down:

IMG_0286IMG_0290

5 Likes

My watch isn’t smart at all… but it is really bright yellow and non-leather - does that count? Plus I don’t need to charge it every day…

IMG_3776 (1)

5 Likes

That’s a pretty sweet AP there dude!

1 Like

I got a black 42mm Apple Watch on the day it was launched. It’s a clever bit of Kit but in the end I thought it was bloody ugly. They are still ugly.

I went for a Suunto instead. It can receive messages to the watch but I don’t bother.

3CDDFA6F-55F4-4D59-BEFF-26821972A841

As per @DaveTMG, chunky watches with yellow straps are the way forward. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Still with the original 42mm

A96B7532-899C-495D-8DD3-956961AE6CDC

1CAB9E31-5A14-4C44-AE18-53C3673D5C8E

4417F134-4C99-4593-85CB-2CD97FA4B96B

2 Likes

Night, day, and picture of some chocolate :chocolate_bar:

Ahhh Hokusai!

(damned post character limit)

I do, a very basic Withings Steel HR - which is now Nokia Steel HR.

I only get notified of calls and texts, but it does HR, sleep and activity. Is also the best waterproof one at the time of purchase based on my research - I prefer swimming :swimming_woman: to gymming.:running_woman:.

I wanted a really basic watch face as well. :watch: I has black

1 Like

That’s not hot coral.

DISAPPOINTED. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve been wearing the Apple Watch S3 for the last couple of weeks. Love the built in LTE. Went out for drinks last weekend and didn’t bother bringing my phone along. Your experience may vary, but if I have my phone with me I occasionally find myself being distracted by Insta / FB when I only picked it up to send a quick message or whatever. No risk of that with the Apple Watch but I get to maintain a level of connectivity.

App wise turns out RBS have an Apple Watch app which is pretty sweet - I can use it to take out cash from RBS / Natwest / Tesco ATM’s even if I don’t have my card on me. There’s a Revolut app which is total junk.

IMG_3293 IMG_3292

5 Likes

+1 for battery life. Not sure I’ve even seen it below 40% yet, and that’s on the days when I’ve been using LTE. If I’m keeping it with my phone it’s never been below 50% when I’m been plugging in.

I’ve been using it for sleep tracking too. An hour charge before bed gets it to 100%, and in the morning it’s still on 97%+.

1 Like

I’ve got an Apple Watch Series 3 myself – upgraded from a Series 0. Both were aluminium and 42mm, but I changed from silver to space grey this time around. I’ve had an Apple Watch on my wrist every day since they launched, and I really do love it. I used to use the modular watch face, but with watchOS 4 I’ve switched over to the new Siri face, which is genuinely really useful – shows me stuff I care about, and not the stuff I don’t. Siri on my watch is surprisingly useful too, now I don’t have to wait 20 seconds for a response!

3 Likes

An example of how legacy banks are innovating and something to which challengers, such as Monzo and Starling, will need to aim high.

2 Likes

That looks amazing, I’m tempted to get a smartwatch (and a bank account with them!) for that reason. Very handy if you forget your wallet and phone (unlikely to forget my phone, but you never know). Possibly if you got mugged.