Sending money to Zambia - what is a ACH Routing number

I’d like to send money from my UK Monzo account to Zambia - it is asking for an ACH Routing number - what is this? Is it different to a swift number?

Who/what is asking for this?

A quick google tells me:

An ACH routing number is a 9-digit, unique numeric ID assigned to each banking institution in the US. It’s needed for banks to identify where payments should be taken from and sent to. The routing number is used in conjunction with an account number to send or receive an ACH payment.

I am asking as I need to send money to Zambia but it is a US $ account - probably why they are asking for a ACH routing number then. However this is not relevant for zambian accounts…

I meant which app, or website, or institution. Is this being asked for within the Monzo app or elsewhere?

The destination account is a Zambian bank account but in US $?

Monzo app

Sending money internationally within Monzo is done via a Transferwise integration. Looking at https://transferwise.com/help/articles/2946451/sending-usd-to-countries-outside-the-us there is no mention of ACH, so it may just be an issue with the fact the recipient account is in US$.

You may need to do this via Transferwise directly.

1 Like

Are you selecting the United States?

Maybe try clicking Zambia and then see if you can change the currency to USD

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.