Quality of cards?

My Curve card is in the post :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You definitely don’t have to do this… At least with mine you don’t :thinking:

1 Like

I do think the quality of the cards could be improved. I understood the prepaid card being cheaper as it was a beta card but moving to the current account it should last longer.

Aside from my first card (which I lost) I have replaced my Monzo card a couple of times due to the degradation of the card. I have had a card fail completely, but my main issue has been it wearing down as the laminate peels off. Peels off to the extent I started to remove sections of it when I ordered a new card before Christmas.

My new coral core card I thought I’d try and take better care of so bought a wallet and it lives in there. However, within a month the white numbers have rubbed off from the card just being removed from my wallet and placed back in.

This is not just an issue with Monzo cards. I have had the colour wear off the numbers on my Starling and Handelsbanken cards too, and the top layer of laminate film start peeling off my Handelsbanken card.

It may be related to amount of use, for example where using Samsung Pay that card may never get inserted and removed from it’s wallet and hence wear less.

1 Like

You are probably right. I’ve pulled out my cards and RBS looks of a similar quality as Monzo. However, looking at my B Bank (Yorkshire Bank), Smile Credit Card as well as Nationwide Savings account, the cards themselves looks to be from a better quality plastic and my Smile Credit Card is well used since 2015 without the degradation of the laminate (the numbers have rubbed off though).

This is my card as of today, also it is curved out of shape.

IMG_0950

1 Like

your flexible friend … as Access used to say (youngsters won’t remember Access cards but they were a kind of UK Mastercard many years ago)

1 Like

I remember Access cards, never had one though as they were phased out about the time I got a bank account

2 Likes
3 Likes

Stealthily done, @anon44204028 - almost so subtle I didn’t notice it. :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

This is one of my only complaints about the quality of the card, the numbers fade very quickly, I could even rub them off with my thumb when it arrived, it was as if it hadn’t finished drying.

1 Like

Hi Gavin,

I’ve moved your post here, hope you don’t mind. Seems a few others have also made comments about the card quality so I thought it’s nice to keep it all in the same place :slight_smile:

1 Like

My numbers on my card are slightly rubbing off too but I’m not sure if it warrants asking for a new one yet

1 Like

I agree, I think it would just happen to the new one.

1 Like

The plastic coating peeled on one of my older ones…
Don’t want to criticise a bank card too much…

1 Like

I think some Banks have improved the quality of their cards in the past year or so. Maybe because we are using them more so it’s worth the investment now. A friend has a HSBC UK card which is probably the solid card l have ever seen and looks nearly new after much use.

I do see some tatty looking Monzo cards. Maybe we are more cashless, but a little investment in maintaining the card quality for longer would be good.

2 Likes

At least you can still read Monzo numbers if they rub off, try it with a FirstDirect debit card, they are a nightmare. I took a perverse delight in ordering around 2-3 replacements a year as I could not read them easily anymore.

Not a worry anymore as I am full Monzo.

2 Likes

Haven’t had the chip issue as OP did, but the white numbers do rub off very quickly. I ordered another through Co-ops and this one has lasted longer!

Monzo card needs better finish as it gets dirty too easily, something like a glittery layer of plastic to stop it from looking as if it was thrown in mud :joy:

I agree with one of the previous posts that HSBC has probably the best quality cards on the market. Shame about everything else done by them being so crappy.

I have to admit I’ve been a little disappointed with how quickly the colour on the embossed card number has rubbed off. Unfortunately, it gradually seems to be picking up dirt (ironically, making the number easier to read again).