Quality of cards?

It’s actually on all types of NFC cards from Oystercard to security cards :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

so the chip looking the way it does has nothing to do with NFC. As fas as I was aware all NFC cards have an antenna running around the card itself.

I’ve seen 3 different types of chips (Mondo/Metro Bank, Smaller chip and Larger chip) all with NFC. Maybe its a cost thing or it depends on the manufacturer of the card itself?

:open_mouth: whats that black card???

Its a Curve. Before anyone says, it is not the same as :mondo: Its a card ‘to replace all cards’.

3 Likes

oh wow does mondo work with it? I had a pre-order on plastic before it was delayed for a year, is curve useful or is it a hassle to change cards?

@jasonyau: yes - Mondo works very well with Curve. And changing cards is no hassle at all. There’s an app for that - you just need a mobile data connection.

Just noticed that the paint on the numbers on the card is coming off. Really ruins the otherwise modern look. Hopefully when the current account cards come out they will be a better quality.

This happens with all cards.

I have several cards. Most have just the metal which looks fine. The ones that are painted haven’t come off yet.

All my painted ones have always come off. The silver paint is the worst.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s normal with every card I’ve ever had. I don’t think any of them are metal, that’s why they’re called plastic cards!

There are metal cards out there mainly the Centurion card by Amex which operate as an invite only system.

Really? OK, that can be ‘the thing I’ve learned’ for today.

1 Like

The Palladium is my favourite.

Has there been confirmation of where the NFC antenna is? I notice that I have to tap the chip side for it to read on NFC readers; it doesn’t read from the other side, which is different to my Lloyds Bank debit card.

1 Like

The NFC is built into the chip side. You can see it when you hold the card up to a bright light.

The antenna actually goes around the outside of the card so it doesn’t matter how you hold the card as long as it is near the reader

I’ve been using my Current account test card since the 12th of September and I’ve already noticed that the magstripe coating has started to peel after this short of a use. My TSB card (left) is unscratched and is almost a year old at this point, even my 4 year old TSB card never wore down that much paint over the years. Is there a way to make this more durable? Magstripe

1 Like

Captur2e

Definitely not quite up to the quality of my other bank cards just yet. This is from only 2 weeks use compared to the other card in the photo that I’ve had for well over a year. Can’t remember the last time I had to do a swipey transaction though so it’s not really a big deal and maybe that damage wouldn’t even affect it anyway. Ink off all the embossed text on the front nearly vanished too although I quite like that.

The mastercard logo doesn’t look quite right either. The circles look slightly misprinted, one slightly blurred with a shadow?

Capture

All adds up to someone looking at my card and changing from ooh to hmmmm.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the white on the numbers comes off very easily also. I wonder if this is down to them using multiple card producers. And this will be ironed out in the future