[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

I’d also like to know this. I just figured it was hard coded to crash across the space of a week :smiley:

From the looks of it it’s just a squiggly line heading to 0. Completely inaccurate if you keep a minimum balance… it’s not using historical data at all.

1 Like

These last few comments remind me a lot of the feedback that users share whenever their favourite social network gets a redesign. But in a couple of months, no one talks about the changes anymore.

Change is weird but that’s ok. iOS users have had this design for a long time but you don’t see threads like this about the Pulse Graph now. It might be worth just giving it a chance..

Whether you think it meets design standards or not, it works.

5 Likes

‘Who cares, it works’ is a cancer in IT that’s all too common. It’s how you get the Legacy bank apps, and, it seems, now the Monzo app.

Monzo used to care… and now a ‘leader’ says that. I’m actually shocked.

It’s a pity, because I joined Monzo because of the App, and it’s rapidly looking like that’ll be the reason I leave.

7 Likes

I don’t think you can turn this argument into Android users complaining Again. Read the comments above just a little closely this time most people complaining are actually iOS users and to be fair some have questioned this pulse things for a long time.

Just like the term finished was described above as relative term, design standards are relitive indeed but deliberately working to make Android look like iOS is just weird and doesn’t work. Hate that :mag_right: like sour thumb

1 Like

Maybe so, but that’s because there isn’t really a like-for-like alternative to Facebook, or a like-for-like alternative to Twitter, or whichever social network you want to reference. Hobson’s Choice; like it or lump it.

In this sector, there is choice. One choice is made by Monzo themselves in asking for feedback in designing a perfect banking experience for the future. Many of us are here to help shape that product in some way, if we can. The feedback is reasonable and genuine even if not palatable for some. Hopefully it is accepted in the same faith it is offered; genuinely.

“It works” according to some, and it very much doesn’t work for some others. Is one set of feedback more important or relevant than the other? “It works” is something that is decided by the end user, not the developer; rule 1 of dev school. In your case they’ve struck gold, in mine (self employed, sometimes six invoices in one month, sometimes one in three months, irregular spending, I have a minimum ‘buffer’ balance which - if reached- I stop spending in order to maintain) it does not tick any boxes at al. We’re all right with our own feedback.

2 Likes

Well, for me, it does nothing useful. So, if by ‘it works’ you mean ‘it pointlessly takes up screen space,’ then I agree.

As I’ve said before, it’s no big deal for me; it’s just that Monzo prides itself on being better than legacy banks, and that the Pulse has always been half baked and doesn’t appear to have been properly tested. It’s a shame, because it could be great.

7 Likes

It sounds like you’ve misunderstood my point - I don’t believe that Facebook users stop complaining after a couple of months because they have no alternatives, I believe they stop complaining because they get over that initial instinctive: this is different, this is bad reaction. And it turns out the new design is perfectly good or even, better.

Of course :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe it will be great, I guess we’ll have to wait & see :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I don’t yet see how useful this graph is, it tells you that 4 days ago your balance was X and you spent Y.

Could scrap that and put those figures next to the actual date instead.

6 Likes

Sounds like you didn’t read Hugo’s posts, about the changes they’re planning, to me.

1 Like

Nope, didn’t misunderstand you.

Reference the Facebook example, I think many stopped complaining not because they eventually concluded the changes were good, but instead because they eventually concluded that ‘restistance is futile’ (to coin a phrase). Facebook never gave in to criticism and rolled back those changes, and the users never left the network in significant numbers - both largely as a result of a buyers market, and the buyer was Facebook.

Case in point: Ello. A new social network with a slightly different vision, I was an early adopter when I was invited to join, in a manner not entirely dissimilar to the Monzo golden ticket. Where is it now? Dead in the water, largely abandoned and now some kind of poor cousin to Pinterest. I probably haven’t logged on at all for 18 months. FB just has that market sewn up.

Interestingly though, Mark Z has been changing tack a little due to the number of active users decreasing at an increasing rate. So even he can acknowledge when he’s pushed too far in one direction.

Monzo is not FB. It’s not a niche supplier in a single-source market, and the critical mass is possibly not quite achieved yet. A single-yet-significantly bad idea at this stage could see customers leave, preferring something else that fits better. Hence everyone having their say on Pulse, and I’m glad we agree on that. :slight_smile:

I’d prefer Pulse to be an option. If it doesn’t go that way, c’est la vie. At the end of 2018 when I look at my three (soon to be four) accounts with fintech challenger banks, I’ll pick the one that fits my needs the best. Monzo was in first place, hopefully future updates keep it in the running and if not, well, I’m just one drop in an ocean of billions. :+1:

4 Likes

I agree, we can all take some comfort in the fact that if Monzo makes a change that drives a significant number of users away, they will have to respond to that :slight_smile:

1 Like

These posts go back to May 2016 last one on that link Nov 2017 and most of them have words like probably, hopefully, maybe and revist etc… it is now Feb 2018 nearly 2 yrs since people have been questioning its usefulness. Surely Monzo would have sorted it by now?

5 Likes

Let’s stay on track folks.

This is a Q&A thread for the team behind Pulse to read and respond to points raised. If the thread descends elsewhere then it becomes less useful for all. Discussion is fine as long as it’s constructive but let’s avoid it heading in a different direction.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: words cannot describe my love for your comment.

To add my opinion…

The usage of it is great. A tab for pulse would be excellent. I’ve updated 20 minutes ago and personally. I think it looks a bit… :thinking:

I’d rather that space of the app Say Monzo. With your logo. Not a weird little graph, you know?

Other than that. Cool. Bring on pulse.

But I do think it needs moving…

2 Likes

Damn, initially I thought I’d be able to answer to each one of you individualy, but it looks like this is going to be impossible to do :smile:
I’ll try to respond to a few broad concerns instead.

Ideas for improvement
Not sure if it seems like it, but we do take all of these into consideration. As I mentioned before, nothing is written in stone. We will play around with this, and let users play around with it as well. Although an on/off toggle is probably not going to happen, that doesn’t mean we’re not considering all kinds of alternative options (like the ones you mentioned for hiding it while scrolling, having a dedicated space for it, etc).

Android design standards
Now you’re just asking for a flame war :fire::fire: Being an android engineer for several years now, you will be very hard-pressed to find someone more opinionated than me about this matter! Having said that, you need to keep in mind that those are just guidelines, and they give designers and developers quite a bit of freedom with regards to how an app should look. Designers/developers are free to deviate as much as they want, as long as they can provide a nice, consistent experience. Additionally, these guidelines change over time. Case in point, bottom navigation: https://material.io/guidelines/components/bottom-navigation.html

Future plans
I’ll have to dodge this, and let @vuokko answer it :wink: She’s out right now, but should be able to respond tomorrow if that’s ok!

10 Likes

The reason is that we did the hard part (the plotting and interaction with the graph on the client-side). The graph already has useful (granted, not for everybody) information in it. But now that it’s out (on both platforms), we can easily iterate on it, and also improve the server-side to take future payments into account. If we waited for bills before we released it, we might have had to wait for projected incoming payments as well. What about the information from the upcoming targets/spending breakdown work? You see where this is going, right? We’d never release anything if we thought like that. Releasing early and getting feedback (the exact process we are in right now) is the Monzo way :mondo: :mondo: :mondo:

13 Likes

I’m a big fan of the continuous delivery model you guys follow! I just wanted to give you a positive data-point for that since I read a lot of criticism of it on here :frowning:

4 Likes