[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

Thanks for replying however in reading your reply to me pulse just sounds like it’s an unfinished product so if that is the case why is an unfinished product being forced upon us?

If you know what it was going to be for then just wait till it is finished then roll it out.

With regards to it being turned off and never switched back on again, well yeah I would never use it as I don’t see a need for it, this does not mean that you can’t still build it and have the option on or off.

Right now it serves no purpose so off or gone is best.

3 Likes

Pots is in no way finished, yet all users have access to it. The Spending tab isn’t finished but available to all users. Payments, Direct Debits aren’t finished, you get where i’m going with this. There are features we have that are frameworks/skeletons that can be built upon but that doesn’t mean they have no value in their initial state.

10 Likes

C’mon man, you’ve been with us long enough to know that we ship as soon as possible and then iterate based on feedback! :blush:

“Finished” is a relative term. We could have never had Targets on iOS because it doesn’t support custom start dates or any of the dozens of ways we plan on improving it. Or pretty much any other feature you can think of.

16 Likes

First of all, there is no such thing as a ‘finished’ software product. If there’s one thing I can guarantee, that’s that we will always be iterating on pretty much everything. Quite simply, if we don’t do that, I don’t see how we’ll survive as a business.

As for the current state of Pulse, I guess I focused so much on the future in my reply that I forgot about the present. We obviously believe that it’s worth the space it is given, else we wouldn’t release it of course. You might disagree with that decision, and that’s fine. All I’m saying is that we will try our best to convince even the most skeptical users to change their minds by improving it.

9 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with this. If you removed every ‘unfinished’ aspect of Monzo then you’d be left with absolutely nothing as far as I can see because there’s not a single thing that I can think of that I would consider finished.

3 Likes

But all these have a use an actual use, what use is pulse right now?

1 Like

Yeah I know I know but I genuinely hate this thing I really do, the rest is what it is I don’t use targets and it’s not in my face so I’m not bothered by that but the rest unfinished or not works…

4 Likes

For those that don’t want it how about turning it off in portrait mode and only making it visible in landscape?

1 Like

I like the Pulse. I don’t know how to utilise it properly yet, and I don’t think it’s living up to it’s potential as yet but it’s a handy feature to have. I can scroll back easily with it, and see what my balance was on any given date.

The problem here isn’t with the Pulse, it’s that we don’t know what it’s for. Banking apps have never had these in before, it’s brand new and there’s no manual. Once it can do more things, we can use it properly and then all learn to love it I’m sure.

However, I would like one thing… for it to scroll up out of view with my balance as I scroll down, rather than be fixed. Unless there’s a reason for that :thinking:

9 Likes

What was the thinking behind bringing this to Android first rather than making sure it works with bills first?

IMO this is a minimum product rather than a minimum viable product. Without being able to clearly see day to day spending, pulse has no value.

1 Like

You could argue the whole of Monzo is an unfinished product… I think it holds value in its current form. I like seeing my projected balance and spending patterns. @Tas maybe have it so if you scroll down the feed it pushes it out of the way or minimises it slightly. And use the horazontal scrolling on the graph ( when at the top of the feed) to view historic data? I like it as is. But it’s a suggestion for those who don’t.

Maybe after upgrading the app anything new like this should be explained on a card that the user has to clear. At least they would know it’s pourpose and future potential then.:grinning:

4 Likes

@tas @hugo maybe a sneak peek of how Pulse can become useful in the future would quiet down the negative feedback

5 Likes

Have a look at these previews & details that Hugo’s shared :slight_smile:

https://community.monzo.com/search?q=%40hugo%20pulse

The team have explained how this feature will evolve & what it will be useful for in quite a lot of detail in those posts :point_up:

1 Like

Yup. Still no use to me and simply gets in the way. On the other hand, it’s not exactly a deal breaker. I’ll put up with it :grinning:

5 Likes

Danny is spot on. Personally, I don’t use pots, I guess I just don’t have a need for them given how I organise my finances, but pots don’t then take up a lot of my screen space reminding me of how much I don’t use them. Since I don’t use them, I don’t see them. Likewise regular payments, direct debits, spending (on it’s own tab which a user can simply choose not to view), etc… delete as appropriate per user taste.

Pulse on the other hand is entirely different. But apparently there’s no escape from The Pulse.

1 Like

What I don’t understand is that the Android app used to have a big blue bar at the top that just said “Monzo”, and no one complained about that. In the screenshots I saw, it always seemed like a waste of space. Now that empty space has been replaced by information, people are complaining? If you could ignore the expanse of dark blue, can’t you just ignore the pulse? Genuine question, I didn’t think the Pulse had really changed the space available for transactions on Android, so I don’t understand why it’s now an issue.

4 Likes

Pulse is just an over engineered scrollbar taking up 1/3 of the screen. It’s not a useful graph as there’s no scale… it vaguely tells me my balance is going down… well, duh.

It needs to be able to be switched off. I don’t agree that would cause problems… what possible features could depend on it? It’s just bloat.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a waste of space. Firstly it’s a mandatory part of the UI, and secondly it contains the side menus and the search bar. It looks f…ing ugly without it because it sticks out so much as not android.

They’ve broken the UI standards, made the search float in the middle of the screen and - rather hillariously - have to switch back to the original front page when you select search!

All in the name of sticking a big black space with a white line on it on the top, because ‘branding’ apparently.

2 Likes

How is the future spend predicted if you don’t have any regular payments set up, or haven’t made any regular payments in the past? Mine looks like I’ll be spent out in the next few days - what makes the system think that?

3 Likes

Using hyperbole just undermines the argument. At most the pulse takes up 1/6 of the screen on my phone, and I have a 4" screen. Unless you have a really tiny phone, I don’t see how it could be 1/3. No one’s arguing they should get rid of the “balance” and “spent today” figures (I hope?!).

1 Like