Public asked (invited) to swear allegiance to King Charles

I wonder how many will be joining in with this swearing their allegiance?

YouGov survey suggest young people its a no, 50+ people its a yes to the monarchy.

And looks unanimous that hes out of touch.

I for one will be swearing, he can f*** right off.

Elected head of state or king?

16-24 - 68% should have had an elected head instead
65+ - 78% should have the monarchy

In touch or out of touch?

16-24 - 84% out of touch or dont know
65+ - 51% in touch

8 Likes

lol, nope.

6 Likes

Ooo how exciting, I get to play my ā€œI donā€™t swear oathsā€ get out of jail free card

3 Likes

Hard pass.

If I even watch the coronation it will only be because as a lover of history I might enjoy watching an old tradition. Thatā€™s it. They could do the ceremony on a kitten and I would be just as interested. Wait, no that would be more interesting. Kitten coronation pls.

10 Likes

One thing in that article being a Saturday

The greeting will not be audible for most watching outside Westminster Abbey because the Chief Rabbi will be observing the Jewish Shabbat which prohibits the use of electricity, including microphones.

But what about all the other electrics like the camera and lighting. Is there a set distance from electrical items before its fine?

Iā€™m more of a liberal republican but will watch it for the history. I also like the music and liturgy of cathedral services (especially when using the King James Version), even though Iā€™m an atheist.

I certainly wouldnā€™t swear allegiance to any living person, let alone a monarch who no longer has the power to protect and serve.

1 Like

Iā€™d sooner swear allegiance to next doorā€™s cat (and I hate cats) than some aristocratic leech.

I think the whole coronation thing is just going to cement my view that the UK (despite the governmentā€™s talk of Britcoin and world leading technology) really wants to be seen as an insignificant Ruritanian backwater stuck out on the edge of Europe.

6 Likes

If I do watch, Iā€™ll be watching you to see the palace horses and thatā€™s it nothing else

3 Likes

Ditto

5 Likes

I mean Iā€™m not going to but it does say for those who desire to, so Iā€™m not going to have a hernia for it being an option :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

During a naturalisation ceremony (what one has to attend to obtain British Citizenship), you are given the option - you either swear or pledge allegiance (which is the non-religious way to do it), but you have to recite one or the other.

Iā€™ve always been intrigued that people born here never had to do that, so I am quite liking the fact you all have to do this now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My ex-husband had to go through that and he hates the monarchy so found it pretty annoying.

Fortunately unlike people applying for citizenship we donā€™t have to. People will be invited to do it during a coronation ceremony that I definitely wonā€™t be watching anyway

Not to go off on too much of a tangent but Iā€™ve always found it quite strange that swearing an oath is seen as the religious way considering the bible says not to do it (which is why Quakers affirm rather than swear)

4 Likes

The more I think about it the more I donā€™t like the headline.

The headline almost implies itā€™s something everyone is expected to do.

Weā€™re not being asked to. We are being given the option to. Very different.

Iā€™d say itā€™s more along the lines of ā€œoption to swear allegiance to King given for first timeā€ or something to that effect.

6 Likes

My local are putting on a celebratory street partyā€¦ So will probably partake in that.

Itā€™s what he would have wanted

2 Likes

Agreed. The service will say ā€œ All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say togetherā€

Thatā€™s not asking people to do something, but I guess people wonā€™t repost an article that says ā€˜part of the ceremony will involve people who want to saying something aloudā€™.

3 Likes

You also have to know a whole lot more of British history and how the state works than Iā€™d bet 70/100 people (who were born British) on the street would.

5 Likes

Indeed, more than the ministers who actually set the questions know Tory minister humiliated as she fails at her own department's citizenship test - Mirror Online

Or even Prime Minister

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty certain Iā€™d fail the citizenship test if I had to take it. Couldnā€™t list my kings and queens for toffee, for one.

As for the swearing, ignoring the headline and reading the article, it appears to be a non-event. It implies people are being asked to swear for the first time, but really those present have always been asked to swear. Itā€™s just been opened up to be more inclusive of those watching on TV. So while I do think itā€™s archaic and unnecessary and I wonā€™t be doing so myself, given itā€™s always been a part of the tradition after all, seems a bit of a non-issue.

3 Likes

And yet the BBC are currently running an entire piece on it, including having professors from UCL commenting on it. Itā€™s really stretching the boat for ā€œnewsā€.

Akin to their one hour live coverage of the test alertā€¦

4 Likes