Post office wont accept monzo

There’s another thread all about this but basically lots of Post Offices, especially those that are in Corner Shops like to ‘double-dip’ on your transactions by instead of using your Debit Card exactly as such, they like to try and do a LINK ATM withdrawal instead.

That means they get commission for doing whatever transaction you are doing in the Post Office AND for a LINK ATM withdrawal. Because Monzo aren’t part of the LINK Network this doesn’t work and they throw their toys out of the pram.

Insist they process it as a proper Debit Card transaction and everything will be OK.

EDIT: Just realised its this exact same thread so I suggest you read the rest of the thread and others on this topic!

5 Likes

Hi David. Welcome to the community!

They may give you the impression they think Monzo is a toy bank, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they’ll long outlast the Post Office

3 Likes

Name and Shame any Post Office’s trying to game the system by pulling this nonsense. Make enough noise and soon enough the boss’ will take notice

2 Likes

Westfield London post office is the worst at this

1 Like

When I was in the post office the other day I was sure to use Apple Pay so the cashier wouldn’t be able to object to my use of Monzo.

5 Likes

When posting I just use the online pay and drop service, gives me a nice label and saves time in the post office, plus saves all the do you have batteries or alcohol in here.
https://parcel.royalmail.com/orders/quick-delivery/

Or just keep the card hidden and wait until the machine turns on and quickly tap.

2 Likes

That’s what I use to do when boost juice said they won’t accept Apple Pay lol. I’d say I’d pay with card and just tap my phone before they could tell me no.

6 Likes

I have nothing but problems with The Post Office and my Monzo account.

Whether its their cash machines, at the till or an online loan application.
Have a look at my twitter post https://twitter.com/Matt87154765/status/1197940423345479680?s=19

Trying to get the post office and the AA to sort themselves out with Monzo accounts

What exactly are the AA or Post Office saying when you try to apply?

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that Monzo dont report to all the credit agencies and that may be something the loan providers are acknowledging when it comes to running credit searches?

Email acceptance@monzo.com with the details.

monzo will call them and inform them how to do it properly.

The post office have two ways to put through a payment. They are trying to double dip on commission.

I just don’t spend anything with them if i can’t get money out.

My main issue is with the loan application.

Credit scoring bit is fine.
I just can’t enter bank account details for the direct debit.
So i can’t complete the application

1 Like

The website says the bank account derails are invalid.
It won’t let me go any further.
You cant apply over the phone. Only online.
They dont accept Monzo anyway they tell me when i rang

I had this over the weekend and have reported it via acceptance.

Basically, the post office dude in Rochdale wouldn’t let me use my card to pay for some Euro’s without having my driving licence & passport (didn’t have the latter)

Then said would accept driving licence but refused as says Jim on card and James on passport.

But would allow me to withdraw the cash from a cashpoint and use that :man_shrugging:

I can maybe shed some light on this situation as I run a post office in Edinburgh. Monzo don’t have an agreement with the post office for cash deposits or withdrawals, so you can neither pay in or withdraw cash from your account at a PO. It is however accepted for all sales, eg stamps, postage, currency etc. The problem with using a card to purchase currency is that the PO require 2 forms of ID for the purchase of foreign currency using this method but if you pay with cash, no ID is required. Hope this helps

6 Likes

The post office only needs one ID to buy foreign currency though? Why is your postie asking for two? It’s an either or not both.

I’ll find it online.

Edit: two seconds.

If I’m buying/exchanging currency in a branch do I need to bring Identification?

If you are buying currency and paying by card then you will need to bring one of the following;

• Valid Passport
  • Valid UK or EEA Photocard Driving Licence
  • EEA Identity Card

We cannot accept anything other than one of these documents. We may also ask for ID for some cash transactions and we may need to verify your identity electronically while you are at the counter (this is not a Credit Check). You will need to have a permanent UK residential address in order for us to be able to do this. We will not be able to proceed with the transaction if we cannot verify your identity.

2 Likes

I had this same thing a couple of months ago at my local post office. I went to pay with Monzo and they said “you can’t use those cards here”. I said it’s a MasterCard debit, I definitely can and to not let me use it is against MasterCard rules. They said I could try but it wouldn’t work. Anyway, of course it worked

7 Likes

I’m reporting it to the acceptance email address but interestingly it looks like this hasn’t been resolved yet. The Post Office wouldn’t accept my bank account details in an online loan application (The AA wouldn’t either, but they had exactly the same application process and offered me exactly the same terms as the Post Office so assume their loan services are from the same provider).

Presumably they still haven’t updated their bank sort code database or however it works.

Daft really as they’ve done themselves out of a customer there.

I had the same thing a couple of days ago. I wanted to withdraw cash from the Post Office counter, put my card in and it rejected. The staff didn’t know why (they said they thought it was because it was a prepaid card, which of course it isn’t).

I went across the road to a Tesco ATM and withdrew cash fine.

It’s not the same thing

You can’t use the post office to add or withdraw money to your monzo account as Monzo don’t pay the post office to provide that service. That’s why they introduced adding money via paypoint

3 Likes

Your Monzo card should work at external ATMs at Post Offices.

Won’t work at Post Office Counters as @Rat_au_van has already advised.

I think PO Counters terminals work on a different network.

1 Like