Pay at Pump Fuel

It does now :smiley: :tada:

I’m reliably informed this should now be fixed!

1 Like

I can confirm that too. Just filled up at my local Morrison’s and the sale went through just fine. :smile:

6 Likes

Tried at Morrisons @ Doxford Park, Sunderland, and the Pay at Pump machine didn’t work with Monzo :frowning: Had to fall back on Lloyds to pay at pump.

So (and I get this isn’t a fuel purchase), I followed your process at CSV (pharmacy) in Washington DC, late at night, where self checkout was the only option… Selected ‘credit’, pin entry successful, got a notification from Monzo, and then the SCO reported ‘there was a problem with your payment, choose an alternative payment method’ (I chose cash).

???

Do you mean CVS?

If you attempt contactless you’ll get a ‘contactless not allowed’ message. The day after Apple Pay came out they started blocking contactless.

If you did a contact transaction there’s a few things I can think of.

1. They use M/Chip Fast, I believe. I’m not 100% sure, though. Ask Monzo support what they can see on their side. There could be an M/Chip Fast issue of some type. @RichardR might also know something about this.

2. CVS is know for flaky payments processing - go on American sites and you’ll see complaints of card issues at CVS. I don’t know the underlying causes, I’m afraid.

P.S. I do seem to remember hearing of issues ‘running debit as credit’ (that’s what using Visa or MasterCard debit is called in the US) at CVS. I wonder if they’re doing something really weird based on BIN or Application Label or something… I thought any issue like this would only apply to American cards that actually had a US common debit AID, but maybe not?

1 Like

I think it would be useful for the app to send through a push notification when the amount at the pay at pump updates.

For example I just spent £50 on fuel at Asda but it’s obviously only showing the £1. Now the only way I can see when it updates is by opening the app in the next few days and seeing if the balance has refreshed. It would be nice for a push notification to say something like ‘Just to note, your Asda fuel transaction has updated to £50’. I’m sure Monzo can word it much better! :wink:

The same could even be done for transactions abroad where the amount may change due to the currency conversions. I’d quite like to see in the app the difference between the original and settling amount anyway.

8 Likes

This would also be useful for foreign transactions, which initially show as a pending amount, and are subject to change.

1 Like

Thanks Allie. It gets worse - messaged Monzo with my receipt showing a declined card payment, and they kindly immediately reversed the debit on my account. As a consequence, CVS immediately represented the transaction as finalised. Now I have no option but to try to negotiate a major foreign company (to a Brit) to try to get the transaction reversed - haven’t a clue where to start, but will wait until I return to U.K. before trying to sort this all out. Asking Monzo to credit a failed payment may not be the best approach!

I don’t know how those two events could be connected, honestly. @RichardR ?

Was M/Chip Fast used? (Did it ask you to remove the card almost immediately after PIN entry, before it went to ‘authorising’?) Did you keep the decline slip?

As long as you kept the decline slip (always insist on these), I think the chargeback process should be pretty simple to be honest.

Also, not that it helps now, but Walgreens (same company as Boots) supports Apple Pay and has fully working EMV contactless (not magstripe mode), doesn’t use M/Chip Fast and generally has more reliable payments systems.

1 Like

This pay at pump crap is starting to get annoying just been to both Costco and Tesco both had transaction declined, although plenty of cash in my account to pay for fuel, it worked earlier in the week at Costco…

From talking to the staff in Tesco they are seeing this across Halifax, TSB, Yorkshire Bank and having a lot of confused customers because no one including Monzo is being transparent about any of this …

I heard customers at Clydesdale and Lloyds were also having issues.

Sounds like the problem lies with Tesco & Costco. They should sort out their machines!

3 Likes

I use my card at tesco most days for lunch and not once had an issue, I wonder if it’s a particular “area” or something?

That’s why i prefer to pay at till for fuel or use my credit card to pay for fuel at pump. I hate waiting for a £1 to change to the full amount.

Another reason why the PFSs should really be changing to the new system of trying to pre auth £100 or the full available balance if less than £100 and allowing filling to that limit. They then should immediately release the remaining funds. Unfortunately it seems neither part of that process is working as seemlessly as it should which is why some PFS are taking ages to implement it despite the MasterCard and visa implementing the new rules sometime ago! Some bank systems also seem unable to respond quickly to adjustments needed…

1 Like

I just put mine on my American Express and forget about it for a few days whilst it settles. Plus, all those avios points help a little haha

1 Like

Not sure if this has been posted before it it’s a good read from @daniel about how the pay at pump process should work with the new changes. Hopefully the banks and petrol stations will get on board.

3 Likes

I would be interested to know how Monzo plan on processing this? Any idea @hugo or @simonb

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.