Pay at Pump Fuel

Costco accepts Mastercard or Visa debits + Amex – does not accept credit cards.

1 Like

They certainly accept Amex credit cards in the UK, as I use mine (yes, it’s a credit card not a charge card). In the US they only accept Visa, but again that’s a credit card. I have to use a US-issued Visa (no Amex, though they used to) at Costco when I’m on holiday in the US as I don’t have a UK issued one without a foreign transaction fee. Again, a credit card.

This exclusivity might not apply to debit cards? Fair, but how does that work with ‘honour all cards’? I thought Visa/MC didn’t let you take only debit?

I can guarantee you that Costco don’t accept credit cards in the UK. :slight_smile:

I think the honour all cards means taking foreign and domestic not just domestic as firms like ALDI/Lidl used to only take debit cards and not credit cards when they first entered England

Just to clear this up, a merchant can, in quite a few cases, choose to disallow a card by “product” (credit, debit, sometimes even prepaid) but can not block by issuer. For example, if they accept one Mastercard Debit card, they must accept them all. :slightly_smiling_face:

Do remember that whenever American Express are in the mix, things can get very different as American Express are their own network. In the UK at least, Costco don’t allow credit or charge cards unless they are from American Express. That’s technically within the rules of other networks. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

They’ve got a partnership with AmEx. Only debit cards or AmEx in stores, but they do accept all cards online (it’d be mad to run an online store that didn’t take the major credit cards really).

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/content/payment_types

All major debit and credit cards including American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Maestro are accepted on costco.co.uk.
Our Warehouses only accept American Express and all major debit cards.

American Express is Costco’s preferred credit card, helping you earn cash back rewards virtually everywhere with the Costco TrueEarnings™ American Express© credit card. Click here to learn more about the Costco TrueEarnings™ card.

They most definitely do accept American Express credit cards. I didn’t know they accepted other debit cards tho.

I find that absolutely amazing. Thanks for this, I live around the corner from the Sheffield Costco mentioned earlier so possible I’d have run into this at some point. I wonder how many people don’t find out until they’re stood at the head of the queue with no way of checking out.

Does that apply to the pasty shop at Liverpool Street Station?

They turned me down last time I was there so I took my business elsewhere :yum:

2 Likes

Yes it does apply. If they accept Mastercard Debit they can’t say we will accept a card from say Handelsbanken but not one from Monzo. Same rule applies with Visa Debit if they accept RBS cards they can’t refuse say Barclays. So they can say we accept only debit or only credit but not discriminate against a particular bank.

2 Likes

I used my prepaid monzo card at asda pay at the pump just fine last week (on the 9th) before i was able to upgrade to the current account
Like you said it took £1 then updated to the correct ammount a day or 2 later and all went fine

Yes, Asda works for me. It’s Morrisons that doesn’t.

Exactly the same for me. Was going to try at Tesco, which is my usual fuel stop and didn’t work last month when I filled up, but they had no unleaded (!!).

Went down to Morrisons and it rejected the card immediately - no PIN entry or anything. Fell back to my legacy bank… :frowning:

1 Like

Hi was wondering if the card will work at pay at pump at garages and if not will it happen?

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work

Assuming you’re talking Debit Card @Stuartg194, as this thread illustrates, it’s been a bit patchy but acceptance is starting to look pretty good. If you still have a prepaid card, however, then I believe that will simply be declined.

1 Like

Sorry meant to say it’s the new debit card.

Will give it a try later today

Thanks very much for feeback

https://community.monzo.com/t/tesco-pay-pump/26965?u=spicefox

:slight_smile:

Woop woop! Tesco works fine!

D2F6CEBD-CF9F-4C18-AA4F-3ECD82DCC2BACE502C99-69DE-4985-99A9-74196E1CCB97

1 Like

Doesn’t work in Morrison’s :sob:

1 Like

Tried at Morrisons Canterbury today, pump said I could only use the card in the shop.