No confidence vote triggered

I love this tweet.

If we had to stick with what we voted for then we’d never have general elections!

However I think she will win this purely based on that no one else wants to replace her, or be leaderless. I’ll be getting out the popcorn at 8pm :upside_down_face:

You might say that the Conservatives have realised that things aren’t peachy and that a second vote is called for now things have changed…

Absolutely no undemocratic second referendum though…

/s

1 Like

Can a referendum ever be undemocratic?

3 Likes

I love the fact that David Cameron is getting away with this catastrophe he caused…

2 Likes

For me she’s just like all MP’s - just in it for the glory and the gravytrain… I genuinely don’t think any of them actually care about the general public

We have a general election, and then the composition of parliament changes, and then x days later, we have another, and so forth. The proposal of holding a second referendum before enacting the outcome of the first is different.

2 Likes

The first referendum was two and a half years ago, there was a lot of speculation at that point. Since then people have openly admitted to changing their minds, people have died and people have become eligible to vote. The leave campaign have admitted to lying, and been accused of breaking multiple laws, and the actual physical deal has been drawn up showing what will happen if we go through with it.

Surely it’s the only option to allow everyone to have another choice, as with a GE after x days?

6 Likes

My thinking exactly :slight_smile: I don’t really get why that’s being used as an argument. I think the real reason is they don’t want to appear weak but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

These are all good arguments, and I’m probably in favour of a second referendum. I just don’t accept that it isn’t without a cost: it takes the most significant vote in recent years and invalidates it.

That, and I don’t have a clue what a second ballot paper would look like, make me pause a little.

1 Like

You have to enact the first democratic choice first don’t you ? - we haven’t - or you’re just showing that you didn’t like loosing your first choice and showing that you are unwilling to compromise on your choice

Its all very well saying one side lied , without actually admitting the other side lied also - both sides weren’t straight with the public.

Being accused of breaking multiple laws isn’t actually the same as breaking the law.

What would the choice be if there was a new ref ? - would there be a threshold for a legit result ? - we have had the ref - the result was leave - the next question can only be how do we want to leave - with a deal that has been negotiated as the best either side is going to offer , or no deal , that neither side apparently want, or are you suggesting remaining should be one of the options as another bite of the cherry to remain having lost and maybe overturning the result ? :slight_smile:

Compromise is a two way street - sounds like you just don’t agree with the result of the ref - if remain had won what compromises would remain have made to appease the leavers in staying in the EU ? In all honesty I suspect remain would have said that is that sorted out for a generation , leavers should stop whinging and suck it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quite likely. Probably comes down more to her margin of victory, like back with Mrs T

General elections every four years or so surely demonstrate that it is the most recent democratic choice that applies?

and for four years you get the winning party policy ?

Imagine a Hard Remain :wink:

Join Schengen, sign up to the Euro, single European army

Will of the people obv

4 Likes

Unless that does not go very well and you get another shot at it

a justification for ever closer union, tax harmonisation etc etc - we won so :slight_smile: - lol stuff the 16 and a half million that wanted to leave - just imagine :slight_smile: we want another ref - sod that, we won its settled :slight_smile:

1 Like

New votes are always about political expediency or timing though

May was perfectly happy with an early election when she thought she would win, Gordie Brown the opposite

Probably won’t be a new vote unless stars align, however much I hope for one (though unsure that would go differently)

The thing that gets me is, referendums are advisory. Certainly this one was. It would’ve been perfectly acceptable to discard the result and carry on as normal; there was and is no legal basis on which the of the referendum was legally binding. All Cameron had to do was say “the margin is statistically insignificant and there is no clear mandate for leaving,” but instead he shat it in spectacular fashion.

And to think I thought post-2008 austerity would be the worst political crisis I may live through in my lifetime :sob:

6 Likes

They will save her and she will leave after Brexit but she won’t run in the next election so either way she’s gone

1 Like

Plenty of people wanting Brexit, but running scared of having any part whatsoever in having to implement it!

That saved her before and, as you say, probably will again

2 Likes