Brexit Chat

With the news that David Davis has resigned as Brexit Secretary. I’m wondering how many users here would change how they voted if they could, or would you perhaps vote differently in the unlikely scenario there is a second referendum?

I’m not ashamed to say that I voted to remain, and I would not change the way I voted. The way the government has acted following the trigger of Article 50, has been nothing short of disgraceful.

9 Likes

I believe more than ever that I would never change the way I voted. (Same goes for Scottish independence referendum…)

1 Like

No. I voted remain and would continue to do so.

8 Likes

Call me old fashioned but I believe that the result of a referendum should be binding.

6 Likes

I voted remain and every day my decision is reinforced.

17 Likes

Try living on the Irish border with no assembly. The only investment money we get is from Europe so major projects and community groups are all planning on closing when the money goes

6 Likes

Probably the most divisive vote in recent history followed by a period of extended sniping when everyone feels it’s appropriate to give their opinion on what everyone else thinks and wants and so increases the divide between the two ‘sides’.

No, I wouldn’t change my vote.

I believe that if a referendum is to be binding then that ought to be decided before the vote takes place and not applied retrospectively. That would have avoided some of the on-going issues.

13 Likes

It is depressing that the negotiations with the EU are conducted by the most incompetent government led by the most incompetent PM I have seen in my entire life, in all countries I have ever lived.

11 Likes

I hope this thread doesn’t turn sour, respect other peoples views.

What I find disappointing is how it’s been carried out since the result. No one, including the people in charge seem to know what’s going on half the time or don’t agree. They need to be united, and sing from the same book.

12 Likes

Yes…

1 Like

I find it fascinating how much of a divide Brexit caused, and really is a vote that you couldn’t predict a stereotype for the type of person to vote either.

I really think the vote should have been more mandatory for everyone, as sadly I think far more leavers decided to vote than the people who would of voted remain if mandatory, but instead didn’t vote.

All in all, I find it very sad that we even live in a time where opinions can clash so easily. One Love! Where your born is pretty much luck, and everyone should be open to move, visit and be a part of any part of the world they feel they can be a part of. (I don’t care if I sound delusional)

Saying all of this, I fully respect leave was the outcome, and will do all I can to make sure I embrace whatever happens and not find it as a reason to argue.

7 Likes

I feel that the divide was more ‘revealed’ by the vote rather than ‘caused’ by it in the same way that the rash of anti-social behaviour that followed it wasn’t down to a sudden change of people’s personal views on race etc :frowning:

8 Likes

Hopefully not, but if we’re going to look at post Scottish independence threads (on other forums)… it probably will (both sides continually snipe at each other)

What I would actually like to see from this… rather than being led by one party/the government, it really should be a cross party group in negotiations.

Of course the problem with this is, each will try to push their own parties agenda’s rather than working out what’s good for the UK.

5 Likes

I can imagine this is very frustrating :confused:

1 Like

Does that reasoning also apply to the referendum in 1975?

5 Likes

I’m a firm ‘remainer’ but also believe democracy should run it’s course — the original referendum result should be delivered. The terrifying thing is, neither the government or the opposition have any clear and coherent policy.

5 Likes

Following the parliamentary recess in October 2016:

Many MPs returned to Westminster after a three-week recess concerned by the tone of the prime minister’s speech to Conservative party conference, fearing she might put control of immigration before securing a comprehensive EU trade deal. Mr Davis brushed aside those concerns, declaring: “There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside.”

So shocked to hear of his departure!

Anyway, my vote remains as it was in 2016.

1 Like

”I find it fascinating how much of a divide Brexit caused, and really is a vote that you couldn’t predict a stereotype for the type of person to vote either.”

Really? That’s interesting.

In my own circle of friends, acquaintances and family members it was very clear the types of people that voted for each option, and I could have easily predicted beforehand. Of those that have confirmed their votes afterwards, none have been a surprise.

I want to keep it all very civil as I enjoy discussion and not argument, but I did definitely see a difference in the types of people that voted each way.

Like others, though, no matter the outcome I believe the vote should be followed. No point continuing until someone else gets the answer they wanted.

2 Likes

But what ‘flavour’ of ‘followed’?

One of the bits I struggle with at the moment is the constant re-interpretation of what ‘the British people’ voted for. I certainly hadn’t run through all of that in my mind when voting and I don’t believe that the majority of others did. Clearly that’s the result of the way it’s all being handled now rather than the vote itself.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have a good friend who vegan who voted exit (Just surprised me as without stereotyping, most vegans want everything to be equal!) and then someone in my family who is usually very divisive on anything British was really passionate about remain.

Yet another difference of experience caused by a vote that is life changing! :smiley:

1 Like