No confidence vote triggered

For me this is all part of a petulant masterplan which is a massive Two Fingers up at the country for voting to leave. It wasnt the result Cameron/May expected or wanted…

By calling the referendum in the first place they played with fire and now we’re all being burnt…

I voted to leave but I know for certain I could have quite easily lived the rest of my life without ever being asked whether we should leave or not…

2 Likes

It was the inevitable outcome of voting for something with no plan in place of what exactly that would be

4 Likes

That’s true, except the Prime Minister of the country was elected on a manifesto that promised a ref. - the first one since ( 75?) since when the membership of the EEC has morphed into something completely different, and said "this is your decision and your decision alone, whatever you decide this Government will implement it , there won’t be another ref. " or words to that effect - they were elected to Government on that manifesto - in the GE both main parties said they will respect the ref.in their manifesto, politicians were elected on those manifestos - a majority of the house of politicians then voted to trigger article 50 …hmmmm - and all “remain” politicians keep on saying - we respect the result of the ref. but we want to ignore it, despite all we have said

3 Likes

If that was really all said (no memory) you’d have thought they’d have been a bit more careful in the definition of the referendum, wouldn’t you? :angry:

The whole thing was massively carelessly put together.

5 Likes

you would - they weren’t , nobody seemed to mind until they didn’t get what they thought they would :slight_smile: I don’t really remember any remain politicians / or voters pre ref saying no no no this won’t do - well until they didn’t get what they thought they would :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t remember anyone saying anything before hand. I can’t guarantee I was that attentive, though, which is part of the problem across the board I suspect. It’s not my job to scrutinise legislation but it doesn’t look like anyone could be bothered either!

1 Like

maybe they all thought they would get the result that they wanted, so why bother :slight_smile:

you then can’t blame the voters for the answer they gave for being patronised by the powers that be

2 Likes

Absolutely not, the voters were asked for a specific opinion which they gave. That was the point. :smile:

(Some of the news coverage the day after wasn’t that awe inspiring, however, as voters relayed the question they thought they’d been asked… That also isn’t their fault.)

2016-19: Hold my beer.

3 Likes

I agree, do you want to remain or leave , both questions were equally insufficient choice to a unspecified destination , more fool them for wreaking this chaos - they obviously expected to " win "

2 Likes

As a tool intended purely to silence one wing of the Tory party (in my opinion) I’m not actually convinced that they considered the electorate very much at all in the planning of it. If they did, it feels like a ‘they’ll do as their told’ sort of moment.

2 Likes

The only positive result of the referendum is that I don’t have to see Cameron’s smug mug on TV :+1:

2 Likes

Exactly. Hmmm, think I’ll take the chaos with Ed Milliband in reflection :thinking:

3 Likes

its good to know though that there were 17 and a half million " Tory " voters :slight_smile:

In a strange kinda way Labour could be to blame for all this as back in 2014 Scotland perceived them as Red Tories for siding with them in the Scottish Referendum which has ultimately lost the vote for them in Scotland, which has in turn meant more SNP seats in Westminster which has dramatically increased the potential of hung parliaments, minority parliaments, etc…

There’s not a chance of the UK ever going back to a straightforward Red vs Blue battle at the General Election…

Can I just say that I’m a tad disappointed that those pesky German car manufacturers are leaving it a bit late to be coming to our aid.

Cutting it a bit fine, aren’t they?

3 Likes

the SNP lost 21 seats out of 56 in the last GE :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Got two lots of constitutional fun at play simultaneously North of the border!

And Sinn Fein are demanding a referendum on Irish unity as all of this is in breach of the Good Friday agreement. Fun times

4 Likes

For me this is now a time to seriously consider if the UK in it’s current form is worthwhile for anyone…devolved governments should just be that… not having a central government still pulling the strings when they feel like it

1 Like