New Terms and Conditions (v1.8)

It’s because they send it by quick courier delivery, rather than cheaper but slower post. The reason being because people on holiday aren’t likely to be in the same place for long enough for the slower postal method to get to them in time.

1 Like

Makes sense. Still, if you’re on holiday and not there long enough for standard-class postal method then you’re likely to be back home in the same amount of time it’ll take a normal replacement card to arrive to your home address.

Backup cash or cards are always a good idea (e.g. if Monzo goes down)!

I quite liked the way this was communicated, having a Word Document which included track changes was good - made it so that I could skim through the stuff.

The new fees kick in in 2 months, not a problem, not going to affect me. I’d imagine there’ll be updates in January/Feb (again delayed 2 months) for the updated overdraft fees.

Good communication here @Monzo :+1:

What’s the 50p day fee turning into %?

I hope you don’t represent Monzo. Because if my bank told me that I would quite happily oblige and go elsewhere.

A question is how much will the fee be if you lose your card in the UK? Not a fan of that, I lost my Halifax card a many a time and they never charged me. You shouldn’t be penalised for human/everyday mistake. Perhaps the price of a stamp, labour for packing the envelope & price of printing at a minimal cost.

1 Like

It’s probably because the big banks can easily absorb any costs in sending them out through other fees and money they make lending out. To Monzo who currently make diddly squat per customer would be losing out if they paid all the worldwide next-day shipping.

I don’t , Im a normal customer of Monzo , I do take exception though when Monzo are accused of being arseholes and accused of theft when actually they are covering their costs for offering a service that the person that has lost their card requires. I mearly pointed out that if you work for another bank you presumably have their bank card as well so would find it easy and cheap to get the bank you work for to ship you a card free of charge …no problem :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Mine shows new text in red, and where text has been removed that was in the previous T&Cs, it’s in red and struck through.

Another poster says it’s a Word document with ‘track changes’, so it could depend on your phone and what app it’s using to display the document how it is displayed.

I like how monzo just send out T&C like it a school project with no proof reading etc

It seems Monzo aren’t fully reaping the benefits of fractional reserve banking

What bit’s not proof read?

There are no tracked changes showing on either my Android phone (Xiaomi Pocophone F1) or on my iPad Mini so I might suggest to Monzo it’s not the best way to communicate such changes - hence including the comment in my OP

6 Likes

Have you installed Microsoft Word?

Cool, but that’s me. I would consider myself well versed in seeing what can, and sadly does, go wrong in day to day living and travelling.

An average consumer, however, may not be as well prepared. It is also not enough for people to “expect the unexpected” and travel with multiple cards, with multiple brands at all times.

I will stand by my original comment:

…And leave it at that.

3 Likes

Give them 3-5 years and that’ll swing into serious profit per customer. It’s fully expected to be making a loss in any business at the start.

You don’t want to be making it anymore negative £ than it needs to be though so I see why they want to pass on the costs involved.

I think £30 is reasonable. Especially as there’s ways to avoid that.

In 5 years time they might go well we can now afford to take the hit of lost cards aboard and scrap any fee.

1 Like

Uh the fact they send out document showing all that stuff proves no proof read

rule 1 of sending any doc as an email is “always save as PDF”

2 Likes

Nope - but then again, I shouldn’t have to install an additional app that I don’t want in order to see a communication from my bank…

2 Likes

It’s deliberately sent to track the changes they’ve made from V1 so that customers know the changes. What you’re seeing as deletes etc, are actually intended deletions from the original version.

This is expected, as they said in the email.

10 Likes

This was intentional in order to show the changes

You have to install an email client, web browser or a PDF reader

Wordprocessing is a pretty standard bit of software