Changing allowances

I got a message on my app that my allowances (card issues and fees for withdrawals) were changing, which is fair enough, of course.

However, the message seemed to imply I could keep my existing allowances. When I clicked on the button, it took me to another screen which invited me to either set up a direct debit or make a cash payment every 35 days. But it didn’t tell me how much was involved, nor was it really clear what I would be paying for.

Can anyone explain or tell me how much the cost is?

(Side issue - I have just been a through a long harangue with Customer Support about clear communication, misstatements, broken deadlines. So, at the moment I am not feeling well disposed towards to Monzo, especially on top some other negative impacts in the last year or two. Not expecting comment on this, just providing context to my mood.)

All the info is here

Basically, if you don’t meet the criteria, then you’ll be charged if you take out more than £250 per month or lose multiple cards. For most people, the fees aren’t going to impact them.

You wouldn’t be paying for anything though. It’s your money and you keep all of it.

1 Like

Monzo changed their allowances a while ago for those who don’t use the Monzo account as their ‘main’ account. They set up some criteria for this. The direct debit can be to any company; a bill for instance. They can also tweak your allowances if you’re on income support or in other similar situations too, I believe.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. My post was less about the Monzo’s need to tweak allowances, and more about the app seeming to give me an option to keep them, and to set up a DD without, at any point, telling me how much it would cost.

My question is about the cost (and maybe a poke at an app that increasingly appears poorly designed/implemented in many respects and poke at Monzo’s inability to communicate clear to its customers). My apologies if I didn’t make that clear.

(Reply to another member reposted here, to make sure it is seen)

Thanks for the reply. My post was less about the Monzo’s need to tweak allowances, and more about the app seeming to give me an option to keep them, and to set up a DD without, at any point, telling me how much it would cost.

My question is about the cost (and maybe a poke at an app that increasingly appears poorly designed/implemented in many respects and poke at Monzo’s inability to communicate clear to its customers). My apologies if I didn’t make that clear.

This may be a case of poor messaging in the app - I won’t have seen it because I already had DDs set up before the new limits came in - but you’re not being show a cost because Monzo aren’t asking you to pay them anything. They’re inviting you to set up a DD of your own, any DD. Phone bill, credit card bill, whatever. So you have full control over who you pay and how much.

1 Like

I don’t meet the requirement anymore as aIl my DD’s go out of a different account now instead. I don’t however have the reduced limits as my account has DD’s showing as active, as the companies haven’t sent a notification to have them removed from the account. So technically still active right now even though they won’t ever collect.

Suspect when they finally go inactive (is it 12 months :thinking:) then I’ll get the reduced limits.

Not that it matters as I don’t use my account in a way that would be affected.

Thank you for the response, but no, that isn’t it.

Step 1 - press button that says “Keep allowances”
Step 2 - arrive on page to set up DD, without any additional information about why or how much.

Yes, poor messaging at the very least. Are you suggesting that, in order to keep existing allowances, all Monzo needs is an active DD?

Oh…you are saying that all that is needed to keep existing limits is to have an active DD?

If you read the article posted in the second comment it explains what the minimum requirements are.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting this, I’m saying this is a fact. Everything else I could say would only be a repeat of what I said in my first reply.

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate you taking time out to help me.

I think I understand, now.

2 Likes

There’s no cost involved - you get the higher limits by paying in a minimum every 35 days, or receiving student loans payments, or dwp payments having an active direct debit.

Linking your bank account to PayPal, which sets up a direct debit counts, even if it isn’t collected on.

1 Like

Must admit I’m confused by this also.
In my case I don’t think I should be seeing this as Monzo is my main account, I get my salary paid here and my DD are set up. Monzo has been my main account for 2 years so what gives?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.