New feature coming šŸ‘€

Monzo Senior backend engineer & open banking lead @kieranmch has recently posted on twitter that he has been trying out ā€œthe most technically complex thingā€ he has ever helped to build. Lets have a bit of fun with a poll and see if we can come up with any ideas what it might be.

• Dark theme
  • Advanced budgeting / summary
  • Account aggregation
  • Other open banking initiative (e.g payment initiation)
  • Something else

0 voters

Weā€™re already discussing this here:

Looks like it could be related to disputes:

1 Like

Ah didnā€™t see that :see_no_evil:

But worthy of its own thread Iā€™d say!

Iā€™d love something super exciting :grinning:

3 Likes

Nah not playing what could it be, howā€™s about they just say on the Twitter post, if itā€™s pretty much complete and just doing final testing then itā€™s hardly needs to be a state secret and sure the competitors arenā€™t that fussed

3 Likes

Nor me. I have the patience to wait to be under/overwhelmed by whatever it is, whenever it arrives.

3 Likes

From reading the post it looks like theyā€™ve already downplayed how ā€œexcitingā€ it will be.

So I think Dark Theme and advanced budgeting can certainly be ruled out.

1 Like

Although dark theme most definitely seems on the horizon for Android at least, but itā€™s probably not the technical challenge mentioned by Kieran, as others have already said :slight_smile:

Canā€™t wait!

5 Likes

That is a great read and although Iā€™m on iOS has got me very excited!

1 Like

Letā€™s just say dark mode and budgeting tools would not fall within my teamā€™s remit :wink:

26 Likes

Open banking stuff then?

3 Likes

If itā€™s open banking it wouldnā€™t suprise me if itā€™s something like seeing other accounts in your Monzo app.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I know what this is based on a few Slack tidbits I saw before I left. But the fact that I donā€™t know for sure is kinda exciting :joy:

23 Likes

I think it is paying anybody with a text or link.

monzo.you

6 Likes

That has existed for years already thoughā€¦

Also Kieran just said itā€™s not the other two options on the poll which confirms itā€™s open banking :rofl:

It can be related to open banking. In fact it would work a lot better using the open banking APIs.

The ā€˜technically complexā€™ bit makes me think itā€™s seeing your other accounts in Monzo, just because youā€™ve got so many other bank integrations to test and fine-tune, whereas to the end user it would just work.

It could also be:
Pay by bank app
Cheque imaging
International transfers
A magic money tree

2 Likes

The seeing other accounts in Monzo would make sense. It would encourage people to CASS, too - they can see exactly what will be moving over to Monzo and be reassured? :man_shrugging:

So now you donā€™t work for Monzo you can share it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes