An Open Post to Monzo's Senior Management

I agree and I said this in one of my earlier posts.

Perhaps they could be more clear in those situations when they can’t help any further. EG. “Thank you for the suggestion I’ve passed it onto the team. Unfortunately it’s out of my hands now unless they come back on here to update you”

I’m sure there’s a happy medium in all of this :thinking: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

But whose to judge what might help in the long run? There must be dozens of suggestions or opinions on the product posted on this community on a daily basis. It’s unclear at the time of posting which will end up being helpful so if one gets a reply I suppose everything should get a reply. Surely too much to expect someone from Monzo to reply to everything?

The product team, many good ideas have come from the forum which are now features. I dont expect everything to fit into the yes/no category straight away. Just more feedback would be appreciated.

I suppose its a bigger issue about knowing whats being worked on etc :man_shrugging:

I totally agree, and if I’ve got the time then I will reply (as I’m sure you’ll know from my previous posts).

But I tend not to be particularly active on here when I’m at work because I’m busy doing other stuff, so often when I’m posting it’s when I’m doing other stuff (like y’know being sat on the loo).

So we do our best, but at the moment our resources are deployed elsewhere most of the time and I’m actually okay with that. As a customer (as well as an employee) whose often been critical of Monzo in the past - if you can find my old account you’ll see that :wink: - then I’d rather we spent time on the core job and getting through this difficult time safely.

I LOVE the community, I’ve been here a long time and I’ll continue to fight for its importance internally and to represent ALL your views across the company, but it isn’t always a number 1 priority for me at the moment. That makes a little sad, but it’s okay.

6 Likes

Hi - is anyone specifically allocated oversight of the community?

Just to confirm that Glassdoor is wrong :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Yup @AlanDoe but while he’s a man of many talents he can’t be everywhere all the time!

I bet at least 5% of the recent users are people that join to ask a question and then are never seen again.

2 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting anything like that @Dan5. My enquiry was more about whether there’s a genuine commitment to this community from a strategic viewpoint.

As it stands (and picking up on fairly regular expression of mild frustration from “senior” regulars and CC) I kinda conclude that there isn’t any serious alignment with the forum, apart from your much-appreciated interaction which seems to be in addition to your substantive role.

6 Likes

This is no surprise… A company the size of Monzo can’t rely on a group of self selecting users (+/- a few internet trolls) to determine the direction the company takes. Purely from a statistical point of view, the opinions expressed in this forum are unlikely to be sufficiently representative of the wider user base.

Equally, Monzo would be mad to completely ignore the forum, but I don’t see evidence of this happening, either.

3 Likes

Not asking him to be everywhere of course but I think if its in his remit to be community manager that he could maybe dedicate an hour or at a push 2 a week to update the community on some things during work hours?

I don’t think thats entirely out of question :man_shrugging:

I know he teased some potential Q&As when simon had just left but havent heard anything since sadly.

2 Likes

Yea, he’s posted 7 times in the last 2 weeks :confused:

Okay, so 7 times in two weeks isn’t great, but is this thread much better…

Kieran has posted 6 times in that thread, and this isn’t digging at him, but this is the other side of it. He’s posted something he’s excited about achieving, but now it’s turned into a big thread and lots of “Are we there yet?” from kids in the back kicking at his seat. This is a feature that was “completed” 6 weeks ago and we are yet to find out exactly what it is, let alone have it in our apps.

There is obviously a middle ground but it’s tough. Any comment made by any Monzo staff member will be taken as fact. “This is something I’m going to pass on” is an easy reply for someone to make. “This is a great idea. I’ll feed this back” maybe it is a great idea. But a month, 6 weeks, 8 weeks down the line, if it isn’t implemented, people will want to know why. There was a thread where someone expected a bug fix to have happened overnight. This will be repeated and over again.

You don’t want everything to have to go through official PR channels. "So, someone on the forum said it would be good if you every time you buy batternburg cake, your app icon changes to Mr Blobby for 24 hours. I like this idea. Am I allowed to reply and say “LOL! Yes please” or not?

4 Likes

+1 from me. Where’s the feedback thread?!

I agree with you 100% but in this instance as apart of that 1/2 hours a week i suggested from alan in his role it wouldnt be hard to add one comment to that thread saying… no new hitches, this is still due to come in the coming weeks. Or one slight bug found, still due to be coming in the next few weeks.

Thats the role i envisaged for the community manager but then again i could be very wrong and he might not be in charge of updating and making the community better more so just keeping the lights on? :man_shrugging:

I think another beneficial part would be just to join in.

Not in the “Monzo needs to have this…” threads but talk about the new PS5, talk about Huel, their baking during lockdown, how they are keeping fit, even more top line work things like their setup from home, how they are dealing without being with colleagues at the next desk. Be one of us.

3 Likes

I really appreciate the feedback here regarding what the Community want to see from Monzo/me and is definitely a time of change within Monzo where we want to respect processes that are ongoing. I’d like to also try and use it to see what positive change we can bring for you - the users of the Community.

I think this would be better placed in my original Topic about my role and not in here as it seems to differ from the original post. I’ll throw in another post within that Topic to pin it for everyone and feel free to give your input :pray:

( @Revels - I did post in the PS5 Topic and I’m hyped about the console but letdown with the event :frowning_face: )

5 Likes

Just two weeks later:

2 Likes

Not a suprise given that the lockdowns where the majority of these cuts are going to be made (Asia) ended some time ago… and HSBC said the postponement was temporary

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.