My new Phone - Should I stay or should I go?

Have you picked one up?

It’s very heavy. I think that’s the issue.

Your either an Android fan or an iOS fan.

you’ll rarely find anyone who’s happy to make the switch.

1 Like

Not yet - The weight does look heavier, but I’m not bothered by that personally - It’s never particularly noticeable to me, but I guess it depends how people use their phones.

I know a few who interchange, but the majority are either “Android all the way” - Or they love iOS too much.

The few I know who have gone to Android from iOS, have come back to iOS pretty quickly.

I don’t know anyone personally who has moved from Android to iOS, and then gone back (I’m sure there are, I’m not criticising Android - Just my personal experience).

Familiarity plays a key part I guess.

2 Likes

I went from iOS to android and stayed there.

No intention of going back.

7 Likes

Was that a preference of OS thing, or a cost thing?

I think Apple are very slow to adopt new technologies and quite often going from iOS to Android will feel like you’re losing a lot of functionality.

For example, this image came out in 2014 - mocking the then new iPhone 6 by pointing out that it’s functionality and spec sheet mirrored the Nexus 4 from 2012. The joke at the bottom - (In 2016 you’ll have X, Y and Z were all things you could already do on Android, some of which you can’t do to this day on iOS).

nex6

I remember somebody asking me why Apple should allow devs to access NFC saying they couldn’t think of a good use case. To me that’s an unimaginative answer. We’ve used it here at Monzo for card activation on Android - and having just activated a new Joint Account card simply by tapping it on the back of the phone, it’s clearly a much more elegant solution - if you had one such implementation in a creative way in every single app, it adds up.

Without wishing to be patronising I think Android has been good enough for a few years now for most average users. It previously lacked a bit of fit and finish and the cameras used to always be inferior to iPhones but that’s changed in The last few years. If you just want a solid phone for camera, texting, browsing I think Android would save you money and keep you more than happy.

That said. I’ve always been on Android and never had an iPhone but every year get more and more tempted to switch. Apple are really pushing ahead with things like Shortcuts and Android doesn’t really have an equivalent. It’s a real power user feature but I’ve already seen some really interesting use cases and now that I’ve got it on my iPad I do feel like it’d be nice to have on my phone too.

1 Like

The responses i’ve had on here have really been eye opening and it’s actually quite a nice friendly debate that’s going on.

Really nice to see :blush:

2 Likes

This has the potential to run into another Apple vs Android thread - I think we have about 20 already :joy:

You can hand select evidence showing Android being superior and more imaginative than Apple.

Likewise you can hand select evidence showing it the other way around.

The specs are all so good these days, that it does really come down to the OS, and what you enjoy using.

If it’s iOS, then great - You have several options now, and ignoring the hardware comparisons with Android, you can pick yourself up a phone for under £500 if cost is a major issue.

If you prefer Android, you have a whole heap of options at every price range - Most of them are very good, and the competitive market is a bonus for the consumer.

It really comes down to what the user wants to use though.

Bit of both actually. I wanted more customisation primarily.

2 Likes

Let’s put it this way:

Both phones are going to be really nice to use

Both phones will have cameras that do a decent job of capturing whatever you like

Both phones will have modern OS’ with a wide range of apps.

If money isn’t an object and you prefer iOS, go with the iPhone otherwise go for the OnePlus

Either way, you’re getting a good phone and there’s no right or wrong.

8 Likes

Depends how you look at it. Won’t go too much into detail on this. But Apple are a very cautious company.

2 Likes

I’d also add to the mix that having face ID is major turn off.

If I was forced to buy an iPhone this year, I’d get the 8. This is purely because of face ID.

It’s also something I’ll consider when buying my next phone

1 Like

Get a Xiaomi.
Best phone I’ve owned.

3 Likes

I have been going back and forth between both platforms for years. I always come back to Android. Do you cope well with change? Just don’t be like my gf, not even 10 minutes with an Android handset after smashing her iphone and wouldn’t stop moaning about the difference to IOS.

2 Likes

I had one of the original iPhones but moved to Android pretty quickly. Android was pretty horrific back then but it’s got a lot, lot better.

For me Android is far more flexible, development for it is a bit more painful than IOS development but what you can do with Android outweighs IOS in terms of that flexibility. IOS development is a great experience though.

I have a OnePlus 5 (128GB one) and it’s really nice, I have more than enough storage to last me and it’ll be another 5 years before I upgrade again. I’m not a serial phone buyer (previous phone was Nexus 4).

I don’t think I’d ever go back to IOS and I’m actually quite concerned that Apple will make my MBP into a glorified IOS device in a future iteration of OS X.

2 Likes

Wait for a month and go for 6T - Definitely save yourself £500 and don’t go for iPhone.
OnePlus 6 is a great phone I have been using this since it came out. Android 9 is amazing and if you give Android couple of months you will not back to iOS.

1 Like

The problem with OnePlus is as soon as the 6T comes out, there’ll be reports of the 7 and what features were not added to the 6T. They also don’t hold their value well and you get limited support with the networks, VoLTE and VoWiFi may or may not work.

I’d wait and see what Google announce.

How about the iPhone XR?

2 Likes

I think this is a good thing in some ways (their 6 month release schedule as opposed to a year)

If you jump on a OnePlus as soon as it’s available you’re quite possibly a year ahead of the competition in terms of aesthetic. The 6T has arguably the best looking notch and it’s supposed to have the in-screen fingerprint scanner - both things that Google and Apple probably won’t be able to replicate for at least another year, nor Samsung. Plus a flagship processor, a ton of RAM, and a damn near stock Android experience.

They are doing a lot of things right.

I agree they are great phones. I get faster download speeds on my OP6 than my iPhone XS using the same SIM. (Roaming in Sweden I was getting 266Mbps on EE at the weekend!).

OnePlus phones can be a bit buggy, I’d prefer they use more of the Google apps instead of their own (E.g. dialler) and they can be slow to fix things but they also are one of the first to get newer software out there. Their customer service isn’t great either. Every time I try and resist I still end up buying another OP phone. I should have waiting for the 6T though instead of the 6.