Morrisons Supermarket Petrol Pay at Pump not Working

Hi, I was using my Monzo card tonight for the first time at a pay at pump Morrisons petrol station and my card didn’t work? It said something like payment cancelled or something similar. I have enough money in the account so don’t understand why. Is this a Monzo issue or mastercard problem? I would love to be able to use it to pay at the pump instead of having to go in everytime. Hopefully someone can help?

The petrol station was :

Morrisons Petrol Station
The Broadway, Bridgwater, TA6 3LN

2 Likes

Did you have £99 in your account?

1 Like

Yay, another Somerset Monzo user, sorry to see you’ve been having issues though. I’ve not had issues using pay at pump at morrisons in the past, though I’ve not used it for a while!

1 Like

Sorry, we call it chip and pin in the shire.

1 Like

I contacted Support when my card got declined at a Morrisions Pay at Pump, and also at Costco Pay at Pump, I assumed it was an issue but they said it was because my balance was under £100, which is the amount they pre-authorise at the pay at pumps.

A bit annoying really but I get why they do it.

4 Likes

Yeah that is annoying.

On the plus side, the whole pay at the pump pre-auth thing is due to change this year. See the below post from @Rika :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok as much as it’s great to have a laugh at Bridgwater :joy::joy::joy: (I don’t live there) it looks like I need to get in contact with customer support! The under £100 thing makes sense as I didn’t have £99 so I assume it could be that? I didn’t know that was actually a thing as my visa debit works fine whatever the amount?!? Thanks for all your comments and suggestions though :slight_smile: Maybe it’s something that will change in the future.

The £99 is a Monzo ‘thing’ I believe so wouldn’t impact other cards.

When the industry adopts the new rules, then it will be a filling station ‘thing’ and affect everyone.

2 Likes

It’s a really non-clear set of differing rules spanning multiple parties right now. :disappointed:

I cannot wait for the new rules to vastly simplify things, make pay at pump fraud significantly more difficult (if not impossible) to pull off, and also allow other banks to unblock pay at pump for certain kinds of restricted/basic accounts by removing a large case where it’s easy to go into a non-agreed overdraft using pay at pump systems.

4 Likes

But it onky says authourising a £1

I still can’t use my Monzo at pay at the pump at Morrisons. It immediately comes back with ‘sale cancelled’ and I have to go into the kiosk to pay. I have over £100 in my account which some others seemed to imply might be a reason. I’ve tried contacting Morrisons a couple of times but no answer. Really annoying and have to make a mental note not to use them out of hours!

It’s an ongoing thing. I’ve tried different pumps at different times for months now. You’d think, with so many people reporting issues, that someone would have sorted it!

Have if reported it to Morrisons you really need to see what they say. Given that this threads been dead for months it doesn’t seem too common at the minute.

Also try emailing Acceptance@monzo.com with which stations you used and see if they can prod Morrisons.

And this is why I use a credit card with Apple Pay and the BPMe app, no such issues.

Thanks, will give it a go!

I’ve had this before at one Morrison’s petrol station pay at pump but not at another, I actually popped up to Morrison’s night to pop some fuel in and all good no issues, I suspect it is probably is a bit of an issue at Morrison’s end on this one.

I know others have posted similar threads before around pre authorising amounts etc, so if you have eliminated that one sounds like you are half way there- let us know how you get on, be great to hear what the outcome is.

Still having issues with Morrisons pay at pump myself :exploding_head: Balance over £100 and just tells me to use the kiosk - fine when it’s open, not so great when it isn’t.

Will try getting the exact message at some point an email the acceptance team :crossed_fingers: