Monzo & IFTTT - Share your creations here!

Haha this is genius!

Presumably the children can also say this to Alexa? :grinning:

7 Likes

Even better, the children could use Alexa to order anything they want from Amazon directly, and with next-day delivery the parent would likely not even notice until the goods arrive.

As a kid I would’ve loved it. :joy:

1 Like

@Feathers - yes, I did think that, so I’ve set IFTTT to send me a notification each time it’s triggered :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first Monzo/IFTTT applet is a Twitter Swear Box - move £1 into a pot every time I use a bad word on Twitter.

If you want to use it, you probably want to make a copy and edit the Twitter account in the search terms - otherwise you’ll save money every time I swear on Twitter. Which might cost you more than you want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s a Twitter search trigger. That’s what I used.

Your link just seems to take me to IFTTT website, not to your applet.

How did you make your applet public? When I posted my link (above), it just became a link to the login page :frowning:

Yes. Sorry about that. I can’t work out how to make my applet public. It’s not hard to reproduce though:

• Twitter search trigger

• Search term: "SwearWord1 OR SwearWord2 OR SwearWord3 from:twittername

• Monzo action - move money into a pot

• Choose pot (which you have already created in the Monzo app) and an amount to move

And that’s all there is to it.

Fantastic! I’ve stolen that for my three.

I love this!

It looks like many of you are using pots to hide money budgeted for specific categories.
Doesn’t that obviate the Targets feature? Isn’t it a bit backward?
It sounds like a lot of pain to manage when keeping all your balance in the main section is well looked after by the new summary page.
(also, does it not mess up the summary circle to have all your money in pots?)

I’m just thinking of using pots for multi-period saving schemes for now (saving over a few salaries) in order to buy an expensive item.

4 Likes

For a richer system I use IFTTT combined with Google Sheets and Monzo - every day a Spreadsheet is updated with the current amount of penny savings to transfer and when IFTTT registers the update on the specific cell it moves that value into the pot. Thinking of using a similar combination to move proportions of my variable pay packet into pots when it arrives.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Monzo & IFTTT - Support Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Monzo & IFTTT - Support Thread

I have a couple that are similar to this.

I completely agree with this, pots are best used for savings (and incentive based withdrawals) rather than managing bills. Summary does that best!

5 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Monzo & IFTTT - Support Thread

I don’t use targets and want to use pots for isolating monies. So it so far works for me. I could just do with more elements made available for me to automate with.

I’ve created an applet for grocery shopping: https://ifttt.com/applets/YWw8tFCm-redeem-grocery-purchases-from-a-pot

It is dependent on Monzo getting the right information to define a spend as “Groceries”, so YMMV.

Monzo-Grocer

3 Likes