Monzo & IFTTT - Share your creations here!

Sorry mate, I totally missed this yesterday. Glad you found it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. I’m new here, and I have searched to try and find something for what I’m after with IFTTT and my Monzo, but I couldn’t find anything - apologies if it is somewhere, I just couldn’t locate it… but… are there any applets that will do the following:

• Move money from my main account to a pot in this function:
    Jan £25 / Feb £50 / Mar £75 / Apr £100 / May £125 / Jun £150 / Jul £150 / Aug £125 / Sep £100 / Oct £75 / Nov £50 / Dec £25

Week 1 £5 / Week 2 £10 / Week 3 £15 all the way upto Week 52 £260

Monday £1 / Tuesday £2 / Wednesday £3 / Thursday £4 / Friday £5 / Saturday £6 / Sunday £7 and then repeats again from the following Monday

I’m trying to setup the 3x automatic savings functions above but I couldn’t seem to be able to do it via the IFTTT Applet creator, unsure if anyone has already created these using code? I didn’t try with code :frowning:

Thanks

Jaxx

The last one already exists. Look in Monzo section in IFTTT for “Weekly Challenge” and have a pot set up to receive the funds.

The other two are above my pay scale, sorry.

R-

Ahh ok cool, the Weekly Challenge I found was where it moves £1 for week 1, £2 for week 2, £3 for week 3 all the way to £52 for week 52… I couldn’t find one where it charges incremental per day…

There definitely used to be one but I can’t see it

Anyone know how long these have been there? There’s a few donate options

1 Like

I think you’re mistaken. What you’ve described is the £1 weekly savings challenge.

The standard weekly savings challenge doesn’t do this, it does exactly what you need it to as @RogerB mentioned :slight_smile: Here’s the link:

2 Likes

Thanks @Ordog - was just getting a screen grab.

R-

1 Like

Still can’t see that on the iOS IFTTT app

I’m wondering if it has been removed then :thinking: I can see in Rogers screenshot that he has it enabled like mine - so we may have it purely for the purpose of turning it back off.

To add to this it was done by a third party so perhaps with the new pricing model of IFTTT it has been disabled like the reverse savings challenge.

When someone flagged this the other week Monzo added it to their library.

https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-ifttt-support-thread/39382/614?u=ordog

Hopefully @arthur-ceccotti can help.

It may be one of the many many impacts of IFTTT’s Pro accounts now - it seems a lot of user created applets have dissapeared :’(

I think the only way to do what you’re after @jaxx_uk (at least, if the applet reffered to above has vanished) is with IFTTT Pro and using Filter Code.

But theorectically it could be done.

Yes I couldn’t locate the Weekly Savings challenge on IFTTT either… so I’ll look at the Filter Code… I dabble in general web coding so hopefully it won’t be too challenging to pick up…

Is there somewhere I could look up on how to create [correct word?] applets? Everyone says it’s simple but everything I have found so far just bamboozles me. I’m not remotely technical but I am fascinated by what can be achieved. R-

2 Likes

move/donate 1p for every step under goal, had a look at creating one but totally alien to me, from what I can gather, just if you do not meet your goal, then punished by a set amount, not by how many steps under

Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

IFTTT have a lot of useful “Getting Started” ideas - which can give you a good idea of what you might want to create, or at least give you an idea of the things that are possible.

In it’s basic form, an IFTTT applet is simply a tool that takes two existing services, and says “If Service 1 does X, then make Service 2 do Y”.

Could be things like:

• If Donald Trump tweets, then send me a notification.
  • If the Weather is Rainy tomorrow, create a calendar entry named “Take an Umbrella” for tomorrow.
  • Every time I take a photo, uploaded it to my Dropbox (for backup)
  • Or more complex like, If I enter “Home”, then turn my heating up to 25oC.
    (etc etc).

Or all the Monzo one’s you’ve seen in this thread. Probably the main use case for it is for controlling Smart Devices in some meaningful way.

If you take a look here - that’s a list of all the Services that IFTTT work with. So if you see a website/account/device on that list, you can probably automate something for it with IFTTT - might be a good place to start.

For the more complex stuff - and some of the examples in this thread about dynamically changing savings goals - all of these use “Filter Code” in the IFTTT set up.

For example, the weekly savings goals that increase by £1 per week, will have some form of code to tell the app the £ value to move to a pot. For the most part that’s done with code.

There will be a basic; “If [Day of Week] Then, Move Money to a Pot”.

And the filter code will have some code that basically works out the week of the year we are in, and passes that as a variable to IFTTT to move.

In this filter code, you can do maths, comparisons to text, etc, much like in Excel, to make your applet run on certain conditions.

All of that is done in a language called “TypeScript”.

TypeScript have a Playground on their website where you can test the code you make too, which is useful.

There’s a video here from IFTTT with an example of using Filter Code that may be useful too.

The only downside is that the “Filter Code” stuff is a Premium IFTTT feature which they charge for - but hopefully the above gives a flavour of where to look to start :slight_smile:

1 Like

tried the 'Daily goal not achieved by :

if daily steps goal not achieved by 11:59 PM then move money into my health pot

but comes up with error, something went wrong, please try again

it will not allow me to edit the title, change anything, just says something went wrong, please try again…

basically, what I want is

hit your fitbit goal or be punished by moving x amount from main monzo account into a pot

which they already have, but when created, does not work

target_time must be in a 12-hour format, e.g. 6:15 PM

Fitbit

Daily goal not achieved by :

Trigger failed, 8:15 PM

Trigger failure message

target_time must be in a 12-hour format, e.g. 6:15 PM

Crikey Ben! What an amazing response, thank you. I will have a look at the Typscript site and the IFTTT video. I am sure they will help me decide if my grey cells are still sufficiently viable to take on a new piece of lockdown learning. Again, thank you. R-

1 Like

No problem! I didn’t realise the post got so long to be honest…

To be fair to the more complex stuff - I’m not super familiar with TypeScript - I just googled a lot to work things out - so as long as you have an idea you can probably google enough things to make it work.

And, if it helps, and maybe in the “if you want to make an apple pie you must first invent the universe” type space, but TypeScript is based on a language called JavaScript, and there are lots of online tutorials for JS, e.g. this one

:slight_smile:

1 Like