Monzo COps - Join Us!

Here’s the email in full. It was pre-interview, post-practical exercise. :slight_smile:

"Hi Jason,

Hope you’re well!

It’s been a little while since you applied for our remote customer operations role and since then there have been a few changes here that we wanted to let you know about.

Due to a shift in our forecast and a new focus on growing our Cardiff based team, we won’t be hiring any more remote based Customer Operations team members in the coming months and have now closed down this position. We’re really sorry that you have been waiting for some time to hear from us, but we didn’t want to communicate until we had this fully confirmed.

We realise this might be disappointing and we’re really grateful for the time you’ve put in so far talking to us. We’d love to consider you for a Cardiff based Customer Operations role if it’s feasible for you.

More information about our Cardiff role can be found here. There’s no need to re-apply, just let us know by the end of next week (Friday 1st March) if you’d be interested in this option.

If Cardiff isn’t possible for you, we don’t know when remote roles will open up again, but we’ll keep your application on file and we’ll be sure to reach out if they do come up.

If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to ask :blush:

Daisy, Shannon & Mia"

1 Like

I have no doubt I’d be as angry as I imagine you are if I were in your shoes.

Especially if I had built my hopes up of joining Monzo with a remote location job.

All I’d say, is that I can’t imagine how difficult it is to scale a relatively new business in the right way. Mistakes are inevitable, and the hiring process seems to be a steep learning curve for them (highlighted by the “over hiring” issues recently).

I guess you can’t be a mobile, free flowing company one minute, and then have static practices in place on things like hiring - If the goalposts move, you’ve got to move with them.

Appreciate this will be of little consolation to you now, but I’m trying to look from an impartial POV.

Maybe one of the COps team can come along and give some context to their decision?

4 Likes

I’m not gonna get too worked up. I have a different interview/assessment day a week Monday, for a Train Driver talent pool a with GWR, and that is my dream job. So honestly, all my energy is going to be spent on concentrating on that and passing those assessments. :slight_smile: While I am disappointed by this, and it (as well as other decisions made recently combined) has changed my perception on the company as a whole… It is not getting under my skin that much. Onwards and upwards!

Hi all,

We know this is disappointing news, and we’re sorry to those of you that were waiting to hear back on your next steps.

Like we said in the email, we’ve decided not to hire any more COps to work remotely for now. We’ve readjusted our forecasts a bit and we’re focussing on growing out our team in Cardiff. So we don’t think need more remote folks just at the moment.

If you’ve applied to work as a remote COp, and Cardiff works as an option for you, please do let us know and we can transfer your application across. But we understand that’s not a possibility for most of you, and we’re sorry for that. We hope this doesn’t put you off applying for other roles in future.

Will we be hiring remote COps again in the future?

We don’t know for sure. We love the fact that we can have a distributed team. It’s one of the things that makes working at Monzo great. So we’d love to look into it once we’ve built up the Cardiff team. But things have a habit of changing quickly at Monzo! So we’ll keep you updated.

Let us know if you’ve got any other questions!

5 Likes

I’ve applied to Monzo! Did the home test which was challenging because I had no idea on policies haha but it was fun.

I was wondering if you guys are flexible with the idea of working remotely full time? I have a private office in the house and have worked remotely before, would prefer to keep it that way :ok_hand:

Hi @SheHasLittleHands, you may want to read the post directly before yours… But in a nutshell…

So it doesn’t look like a remote working option is on the cards I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Got a question about recruitment, hopefully this is the most appropriate place to ask:

My fiancee seen someone on her Facebook, a COp, mentioning Monzo were looking for remot COps in Glasgow. Being from Glasgow, a dedicated Monzomaniac and looking for a change of employment, she put me in touch with said COp. Next day, I recieved an email from a recruitment agent from Monzo saying hi, could you reply with your CV and answer two questions, the next night I’d uploaded my CV and answered the questions. This was Sunday the 12th. Today obviously is the 14th, a week and a bit later and I’ve heard nothing. The more I hear about Monzo, the more I see the place as my ideal career, I’d love a chance at it. My questions are: would it be appropriate to email the recruitment agent asking if she recieved my info and was everything on? Is 9 days an appropriate length of time for a response?

Thanks so much! :smiley:

edit: somehow thought a week and two days = two weeks. Too early for me lmao

2 Likes

I’d say absolutely yes.

You’ve waited patiently for a few weeks - I think a polite follow up making sure they got your email is absolutely fair.

(We sometimes forget that these are small, personal connections between people. For the sake of politeness - and to put your mind at ease - I think a little acknowledgment before now would have been nice!)

3 Likes

Huh? Two days doth not maketh a week?

Thank you for your reply. Only been just over a week though, I mis-typed in my original post. I’ll consider emailing her :slight_smile:

1 Like

My mistake, obviously 9 days, not two weeks. Thanks for catching that!

12th to 14th is two days?? If you did this on Sunday the 12th, and it’s now the 14th… where are you getting this week from?? :joy:

I do agree wait a few days then chase up but so far… it’s been two?? Am I being really thick??

1 Like

My guess is that he meant to say Sunday the 5th which would equal 9 days today? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ahh yeah, that’d make sense!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice folks. Emailed yesterday, got a reply last night. Cheers todos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m in the same boat, did you end up getting any help on this?

Just wondering if your remote customer service agents answer phone calls and if yes, have their been any difficulties with this? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, got a reply about a week later, done my take home task, had my interviews today. Hopeful! With any luck you’ll hear something soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @bambi :wave:

Our distributed COps do take phone calls :slight_smile: was there a particular difficulty you had in mind?

I have no ideal really haha! it was just something that popped into my mind when I saw you were advertising for remote cs agents