Monzo Chat a contradiction in terms

On a similar note and sticking with mobile operators (I’m looking at you Vodafone)… They ask you to fill in your name, mobile number and all sorts of personal data, along with an explanation of the issue. Then you’re placed in a queue.

The moment that an agent responds they ask what the issue is (like you mentioned) and then say something along the lines of “No problem, we can help with that. Let’s go through verification first. Can I take your name…” and ask you for all the personal details that you input into the form :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yup, similar with a network which used to be known for the “the futures bright…”.

All our phone contracts are in my SO’s name, but it’s really easy for anybody to do things on her behalf on the web chat. It’s great when she can’t be bothered, but it is worrying how easy it is to have extras added/removed just by knowing her name, dob and phone number!

(They might ask for other security info too, but it can’t be too hard to guess as I’ve done it on several occasions!)

I did it with the broadband provider for my parents to negotiate a better deal as they’re not very tech savvy.

As you said, super simple to pass verification and I ended up signing the up for a new contract and changing their package/amount they pay each month. (with their consent of course :sweat_smile:)

Yeah, I think that helps with clarity. I’ve never contacted Starling expecting a near-immediate response.

I remember a while back I messaged Monzo about getting a mailed bank statement for proof of address and it took hours for them to respond, which given a lot of people are having financial difficulties due to the pandemic, that was more or less expected.

I don’t think the chat actually said it wouldn’t be closed, though, so I spent the whole day thinking I’d have to try again the next day till someone apologised and said it was sent.

This :point_up:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.