Missing Amazon Packages

Ordered some new steel toe capped shoes as my current ones are fairly worn out and heavy.
I also have been moved to a role at work that involves alot more walking so it would be nice to have light weight footwear.
(Steel toe caps to a certain standard are required by my employer for safety reasons)

Shipping to a locker at a rural petrol station due to me being at work and my home life means getting anything delivered here is a no no.

Package was shipped but now seems to be stuck, tracking says this.
Screenshot_2020-11-21_13-52-36
Screenshot_2020-11-19_16-54-30

Paid with amex so guess i’ll get the refund as it’s unlikey to show up, strange as it’s been fine before.
This is why i’m glad I use it where I can online.

There are 3 days still to go on the estimated delivery slot. I’d wait until that has passed before claiming a refund. R-

2 Likes

Yeah wait for the delivery estimate to pass and then try again. My hunch would be that the parcel has been lost/misplaced and they are waiting for all possible hiding places (lorries/vans/intermediaries) to be checked. It might turn up!

1 Like

I work for an Amazon distribution centre and this is most probably down to either a picking issue from the warehouse and the tracking has gone awry or down to a picking issue at the distribution centre in that someone has picked your parcel and put in out on the wrong driver in error.

We need to wait for the driver to return and log the extra parcel if that’s the case and then we can reship it out to you correctly.

Do you know if it’s actually arrived at the distribution centre yet?

Why are you panicking midway through the delivery period?

And you don’t have to worry about what you paid with, Amazon don’t argue for refunds.

1 Like

Something similar happened to me, claim with Amazon rather than Amex.

They refunded the next day after my window, just drop them a message on the live chat

Never got a response as to why it happened but very simple process

this happened to me recently. my package turned up a few days later but in the meantime I got a £5 credit from Amazon. Definitely worth opening a dialogue with Amazon

And yet you still chose to comment on it :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, something to do between rolling my eyes.

7 Likes

Ok so this isn’t Amazon, but I got a parcel delivered last week, from h&m and delivered by Hermes. Got it fine. Next day, email from h&m saying sorry we can’t fulfil your order and a refund is on the way. Didn’t think much, maybe an email sent in error, but anyway… Two days later, refund hits my account.

Now, I know what I should do… but I am half minded to think sod it.
What would anyone else do?

A lot of these systems are automated and sometimes they cock up somewhere along the line I guess.

Exact same thing happened to one of my colleagues in March only it was a £1k bike that he got ‘refunded’ for.

Worth saying that if you choose not to say anything they’re completely within their rights to come and ask for the money back if and when they realise.

4 Likes

And you’ve committed fraud

2 Likes

Depends whether you view yourself as a criminal, being that you’ll commit a criminal offence by keeping the refund.

Not a chance I’d tell H&M.

I’d tell them, out of honesty.

I’d only tell them once, and I’d not be surprised if the message got lost in Black Friday maelstrom of messages they’ll be receiving.

1 Like

Fraud Act 2006

Section 3 Fraud by failing to disclose information

A person is in breach of this section if he—

(a)dishonestly fails to disclose to another person information which he is under a legal duty to disclose, and

(b)intends, by failing to disclose the information—

(i)to make a gain for himself or another, or

(ii)to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

24A Theft Act 1968

Dishonestly retaining a wrongful credit.

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) a wrongful credit has been made to an account kept by him or in respect of
which he has any right or interest;

(b) he knows or believes that the credit is wrongful; and

(c) he dishonestly fails to take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances
to secure that the credit is cancelled.

(2A)
A credit to an account is wrongful to the extent that it derives from—
(a) theft;
(b) blackmail;
(c ) fraud (contrary to section 1 of the Fraud Act 2006)

Open and shut case really.

Some may suggest simply holding on to it in an interest bearing account and wait for them to ask it back.

Up to you whether you take that risk.

24A also states

A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction on
indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

Always the danger then of a CIFAS marker on your credit file.

I like this approach.

You have discharged your duty to disclose, once you inform them.

So, perhaps, inform them once, keep a copy, and then sit back :smile:

3 Likes

I’d expect that an appearance at the Old Bailey would be unlikely, though.

A reasonable defence would run along the lines of “I had a reasonable expectation that the sophisticated stock control, accounting, and delivery tracking systems of these large corporations would lead them to the inevitable conclusion that an error had occurred, and they would take such steps as is reasonable to recover either the money, or the goods.“

TL:DR The police would say to H&M, “Have you tried asking for the money back?”

If H&M went for the Civil route, they’d have to send a letter before action stating their case, at which point the money could be returned.

2 Likes

Last week, I ordered a pizza from my local pub and there was an error. I tried again and it went through with an error but my money was deducted and I got my pizza.

The next day, I was refunded by Monzo. I then noticed a day later they had stopped taking online orders due to a website error that weekend and resorted back to the telephone and cash. As I knew I’d reorder on the Friday, I waited for them to take it via another charge.

On Friday just gone, I called to order another pizza and told them I had been refunded and I’d like to pay for last weeks order as well as this weeks and I did. He was very thankful as they had lost a fortune that day due to the site error accepting orders but rejecting payments.

Whilst H&M is a multinational and my pizza place is a local pub on the rocks. It’s still my view that morally, as well as legally, it’s the right thing to do to let them know.

11 Likes

And also if I’d not noticed the email, and I get alot, I wouldn’t have noticed the refund hitting the account either. Were only talking like £30.

Anyway, I called their customer service number this morning, they said so far as they are aware I didn’t receive the item.
They said they have no way of taking a payment from me without putting an order through which would obviously defeat the object. And I kind of get this, i assume their systems are all integrated and there isn’t a bloke sat with a pdq machine.

So long story short, I’m keeping my free pumps. I ordered them to replace a previous pair that fell to bits after a couple of months and I couldn’t be bothered complaining. So far as I am concerned my conscience is clear and karma is just fine.

4 Likes