Metal Card Wearing

Is anyone having issues with card readers scratching the coating on the Monzo Premium cards?

1 Like

Heres an example of mine after 1 or 2 chip and pin inserts due to the app telling me I need to use my Pin

Iā€™ve used mine in the machine twice and it still looks pristine!

Also is that a grey card, not a white one? Or is the lighting tricking me

Lighting probably tricked the camera and threw the white balance off.

I used mine in several Greek ATMā€™s last week and not a single mark on the card so far.
This photo is after it was used in the second ATM:

I need to #getalife

For those of you paying for a metal card, what is an acceptable period of time after which you donā€™t mind if it gets marked?

2 Likes

Iā€™d say 6-12 months of ATM use for me.

If I accidentally drop/scratch it and marks result from such heinous acts, then thatā€™s my issue.

2 Likes

Hope you didnā€™t get cash out with that atm they give really bad rates

Can you please clarify how my posts were received as ā€œrudeā€ (and which one of the 2, or maybe both)?

Maybe itā€™s a tone thing, maybe itā€™s me not quite getting it. Looking forward to a sincere clarification.

Quickly checking forum conduct document.

Ignore all that rubbish :point_up: - possible interpretation issue recognised & resolved.

Perhaps they misunderstood the #getalife bit. Thatā€™s the only thing I can see that someone might construe as rude. Else your posts seem fine to me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, it was ā‚¬3.75 for the pleasure of using it. Not the worst ATM charge in the EU Iā€™ve experienced though.

Ah, thanks. Iā€™ll edit to clarify.

@Jays6 - does the post read OK now?

I thought it was the ā€œmockingā€ about heinous :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think this is why weā€™re not supposed to read into tone! :joy:

I donā€™t see why heinous would be an issue though since it was used in the context of dropping the card, not putting it in a card machine! Though if it were me Iā€™d squirm at the prospect of either, Iā€™d want it to be pristine forever. It killed me a little the first time I dropped my N26 Metal card and scuffed the corner. :broken_heart:

1 Like

I was nervous shoving the card into the ATM the first time. But relieved with the lack-of-damage.
Less nervous the second time and proper-confident the third time.

But there is always one machine out there waiting to chew up a card - and even worse - eat it and not return it [cough] 50 quid [cough]

EDIT: [cough] 30 quid [cough]

2 Likes

Good argument here for the ability to have a spare plastic card that can be used for the purposes of feeding ATMs.

1 Like

I believe Monzo have in their T&Cs if your card gets retained by an ATM they will replace for free

On one handā€¦ ATM losses are covered, but not the ā€˜international card delivery feeā€™ if you are overseas:

So what if you are overseas with a metal card chewed by an ATM (which isnā€™t Monzoā€™s fault) then?:

Looks like it could be Ā£80 to replace in total?
Would the Premium Travel Insurance cover this?

Clarificaion needed.

2 Likes

6months+

My brain is telling me 1-2Years but realistically I say 6 months average with atm uses or swiping

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, I would take it that the Tā€™s and Cā€™s are the definitive rule here, and so the only chargeable events are ā€œLosing your metal card, or it gets stolenā€.

The Premium terms say that if thereā€™s any contradiction in terms vs the Standard, the Premium terms apply. Soā€¦

• They never charge for replacements when: card expires, is faulty, eaten by an ATM.
  • They will charge Ā£50 for: Loss of card, it getting stolen.

Any scenario in between, I assume they wonā€™t charge for as it isnā€™t listed in the terms.

2 Likes