Lloyds Banking Group brands flagging Monzo? (Answer: no)

A friend with Bank of Scotland went to send me some money today. The interface seemed to flag up the fact that the receiving account was with Monzo as a risk factor.

Anyone else seen something like this pop up?

2 Likes

I believe Lloyd’s group and all it’s brands do this for all banks on their internet banking it’s a standard fraud warning

5 Likes

Apparently this was a first for them, which is why they mentioned it to me.

1 Like

I’ll double check tomorrow but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it on other sortcodes

1 Like

Fair enough. :smile: I hope that’s the case.

The implication to them was that “my bank doesn’t like Monzo”. To be fair to them, that’s what that message says to me too.

1 Like

I’ve seen it loads of times with different banks/sort codes. Nothing to worry about, just them watching out for people scamming innocent customers.

1 Like

Happens on Halifax sortcode too (on Lloyd’s IB)

2 Likes

Thanks for checking @glasgow :smiley:

What’s that law about the answer to questions in headlines always being “No”? :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what it does. To me the key part is “We would never ask you to send money to a “safe” account.”

I believe this would hint to them trying to protect against the kind of scam where someone phones the customer pretending to be the Bank of Scotland, says their account has been compromised and, that to protect their money they need to transfer it to a “safe” account that has been created for them by the Bank of Scotland ‘staff member’ they’re speaking to.

Edited to add: It’s not that they’ve flagged Monzo specifically, they’re making it clear what the destination bank is so that if the above is the case, the customer is given extra reason to think “Hang on a minute…”, I’m sure.

4 Likes

That makes perfect sense if it’s a notice coming up every time. :+1:

2 Likes

My sister is completely unable to send money to my monzo from her HBOS account. So she sends it to my HBOS account and i send it to myself…

I got a Lloyd’s account…sending money to any account…I get the same message

1 Like

Thought this was interesting. When I was setting up my Monzo account to transfer the remaining money from my Halifax account, I got this warning when I put in the Monzo sort code. Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?

2 Likes

That’s standard for Halifax. Got that same message when I was adding a new standing order to joint account.

2 Likes

So does this warning appear for all banks, or just Monzo? :thinking:

All banks. :slight_smile: See me wondering the same a while back: Bank of Scotland flagging Monzo? (Answer: no)

1 Like

All banks. This has been a Halifax thing for a while now. It’s nothing specific to Monzo.

Also, far be it from me to say what you should or shouldn’t do, but I personally wouldn’t have my account number and sort code on display online! I could very well go set up a lovely Direct Debit to a wonderful charity in your name…

3 Likes

That’s a generic warning. I’ve had that for every payee I’ve ever set up with Halifax.

Ah yes, thank you! Although nobody would be getting much money out of it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ah yes, I can see! Apologies for the double post! :slight_smile: