Monzo warning me that HSBC is a scam 😄

I’m getting this message when I try to make a payment to HSBC Credit Card (sortcode: 40 42 46, account: 09003649). I presume this is an error at Monzo’s end?

Could this be because of COP? The payee details don’t match so they make a big fuss to discourage people from proceeding

5 Likes

I’d remove the account details from your post.

This is the new Confirmation of Payee flow. You’re getting the warning because something about the details you’ve put in isn’t quite verifying properly.

The flow should’ve asked if you’re paying a person or a company, and the name of who you’re paying, as I recall. Was it your own credit card bill you were paying?

2 Likes

The payment details are public. It’s a central account that you make credit card payments too. Got them from the back of my credit card statement:

4 Likes

Yea, it’ll be confirmation of payee – basically they check that the name on the account etc matches who you’re paying + things.

I got the same paying my Natwest card. Hopefully Monzo will make this a little bit smarter, but who knows what’ll happen with this. I think the slight annoyance is best just to help protect people from being scammed etc.

2 Likes

Yes it was my credit card but it’s a central clearing account.

Triple-checked numbers. I tried both “Personal” and “Business”. And I tried “HSBC” and “HSBC Credit Card”. All of which gave me the same warning.

1 Like

Do you mean I need to put my name (as it’s my credit card I want to pay), despite it being a central clearing account?

Or perhaps, looking at the bank statement details again, I need to use “HSBC Bank Credit Card”?

Ahh, in that case you should be able to touch ‘continue payment’ if you’re confident the details are correct. And drop Monzo a message through the in-app support option to see if they can improve the flow at all. I think the fact it’s a central clearing account might be complicating matters - I would’ve tried “HSBC” myself, as you did.

(And apologies for the abundance of caution over the account details, that was kind of with my automatic ‘better safe’ hat on :sweat_smile:)

The account details he posted are HSBCs details not his and are available by googling for them… the personal info added to make sure payment goes to right place would be his long card number which he hasn’t included

Reach out to Monzo chat and they might be able to see the expected name

Why does Monzo not have a list of common businesses/credit cards/utility company bank details in their payment back-end, so this kinda thing would get recognised instantly as a bill payment?

1 Like

Because it would then have to be maintained. You can’t expect Monzo to maintain such a thing.

Ideally the credit card companies and utility companies etc would all collaborate on keeping such a list maintained themselves, so any changes would be reflected etc., and Monzo could then download the file every month (like companies have to do with the sort codes), but it’s not something Monzo should be doing.

This is actually a brand new flow. It’s designed to stop people from falling for scams. Tightly coupled with the confirmation of payee.

If you think it’s a false positive, I suggest going over the chat to flag it.
You can always proceed with the payment by the way :+1:

1 Like

I did include that when I tried to make the payment.

Thanks, I would have done that but I can no longer see the Chat help in my app. Why would that be?

Screenshot_20200523-220408~2
This is the screen when CoP is unavailable or not able to check, if anyone’s interested.

1 Like

Every other bank I have used does maintain such a list…

1 Like

They have made the option harder to find so that less customers contact Monzo.

When I manually paid my credit card, I was told to put HSBC BNK VSA as the name on account - I had no screens (latest app on Android)

Just been through this with a card payment. Ignored it and carried on.

At least I was allowed to ignore it and carry on - it seems that other banks may not be so accommodating. An elderly neighbour trying to pay us for her shopping had a terrible time trying to get just the right payee wording for our account in order to transfer the payment. It seemed that she couldn’t proceed any other way.