iPhone 12

I did the same in buying from Apple and staying Sim only. I didn’t necessarily spend all that long comparing costs but I’d rather have the flexibility to swap the Sim only deal as I’ll happily keep the phone for at least two cycles.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Although it’s looking like my best deal is a 2 year sim but I’m happy with EE customer service and it’ll still work out cheaper than getting phone & sim with the same provider.

Exactly the same. IPhone and ID mobile @ £6 pcm. How’s that for chalk and cheese? R-

I tend to do 12 month sim only terms with O2 - what I pay each term doesn’t really change but you get more for your money generally. Last time I “renewed” I went from 20gb data (which I got close to several times) to 100gb (which I’ll never get near :joy:)

Not heard of them. Will have to give them a look.

Yeah.

I remember buying a 1GB flash drive. The salesman said “You’ll never fill this up.” I agreed with him.

Never say never (and never say never again).

3 Likes

Haha fair point!

1 Like

I remember buying MB sticks and thinking that was plenty!

3 Likes

I have the iPhone 11 Pro but was disappointed with how little difference there is between the 11 Pro and 12 Pro. I can’t really take advantage of 5g , the camera is the same. I know the chip is faster but in the real world I’m not sure how much difference that will make.

I’m waiting for orders to reopen for the max but I don’t know if I want a phone as big as that.

1 Like

The first SD card I ever bought was 256MB and it was £40!!! And it’s not an exaggeration to say that back then it would have felt like £200 now.

It actually did feel huge, mainly because my caermas JPEGs were so tiny.

2 Likes

The leaked battery capacities for the 12 series phones aren’t promising at all… over 400 mAh less for the 12 and 12 Pro. 12 Mini is rumoured to have 2200-something and while the Pro Max is bigger than last year, it still gets a smaller battery…

Makes me rethink my choices

2 Likes

Better hope that A14 is 20% more efficient

I don’t know much about these phones in particular, but battery life isn’t only related to battery size. It could be that the phones use energy more efficiently and could end up with longer battery life from a smaller battery.

Apple usually puts the results of a standardised test somewhere near the bottom of the product page which might help inform your decision.

Sadly with 5G and OLED standard across the range a decrease in battery life is going to be somewhat inevitable. Even if the A14 is much more efficient, tasks not involving the processor too heavily will drain the battery faster.

The standardised test is hours of video playback (of which the 12 Pro can do 1 hour less). But I expect that’s done in a carefully temperature-regulated room with radios turned off and screen on a minimum so not much use either

1 Like

As long as the test is standardised across the iPhone range, then different models can be compared against each other.

As I said, I don’t have much knowledge of the iPhone 12, which is why I caveated my comments. :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely, I always buy phones outright. Sim only contracts are cheap. But also I just like to own my stuff!

2 Likes

And there was me getting all ready to shell out for a 12 pro max…

That’s knackered that…:smirk:

iPhone 12 Pro being delivered Friday - upgrading from 7 plus so I’m expecting big improvement all round! + the 5 year old battery is starting to show it’s age…

2 Likes

If anyone’s upgraded on the Upgrade Programme before, how does it work in store? Do I have to unpair the watch before I go and do I get a chance to set the new phone up/transfer data?

I’ll be driving a good 30 miles to an Apple store so need a satnav on the way back ideally