iPhone 12

I’m dying to get rid of my battered and bruised iPhone XS Max. I’ll be getting the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I use the iPhone Upgrade Plan. So pay monthly for it mostly, then sell it after a year + pay off the remaining (and keep about £200 to myself)

Looks a bit expensive.

Nice! I don’t really spend that much on my phone, but I suppose it’s an okay way to do it if you really want the tech

Depends on circumstances, I’m a low user so perfect for me.

It does look expensive to me. I pay £4.99 for lebara and that’s with 2gb. For £10 I’d expect a lot more data than the 1gb they offer.

It’s actually not too bad a way of doing it honestly, even without the iPhone Upgrade Programme. You can normally sell the previous year’s phone for 70-80% of what you paid for it, and personally I’m happy to pay c. £250 a year to always be on the latest.

It’s when you fall out of cycle and start selling a 2+ year old phone that it gets pricey.

1 Like

I’m surprised people would pay 80% for a phone that had been used for a year, after a new model had come out!

Wouldn’t work for me anyway, it’d have so many scratches and dents after a year it’d be worthless.

1 Like

Any sense of the feature list yet?

Blowed if I can fathom what might be an upgrade. Something to do with a new charging option? Screen size?

I’ve got the 11 pro max. Wonder if I’ll be lured…:thinking:

As for the scratches and dents?
Fascinating that folk will let a £1000+ device go to rack & ruin in months. Sod that :flushed:

I think the three new things are

• A14 chip
  • 5g
  • New small screen option (5.1 inch)

Those 5g modems are pretty big and battery intensive, so making that work with everything else probably means we won’t see much update this time. 120hz screens may be on the pro models but will probably be in the next update.

2 Likes

Where do you sell it out of interest? I’m considering going from iPhone to pixel :eyes:

I refuse to tell you if you’re making the jump to Android :eyes:

Either, to CEX or a friend. One of my friends has already said he’ll buy mine off me when the time comes if I want to sell it to him. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m quite excited for the 12 Pro Max or whatever it will be. I had the X for two years then ‘upgraded’ to the 11 when I paid the X off

I thought it would be an upgrade - faster processor, night mode, wide angle lens. I regret it so much - the phone feels cheaper. Things I initially thought I wouldn’t care about started to grate about 4-5 months in: aluminium instead of stainless steel, larger bezels, etc.

I’m on the upgrade programme so can go into store and upgrade if I want or I might keep both, pay the 11 off then sell privately. Depends how bad COVID will be at the time the phones come out as Apple still don’t do upgrades from home like in the US

I’m intrigued as to how they’ll handle it this year. I’ll be new to it, so there’s absolutely no need for me to go into store. They can do a credit check online and then just send me a phone.

I wonder if they’ll do a temp hold on a credit card for you to send back your old iPhone? I can see them wanting to keep people away.

In the US it’s credit check on preorder, box comes with your phone and they collect the old one a few days later. It makes perfect sense and I have no idea why they haven’t been doing it in the UK too.

Currently you can’t sign up, upgrade or cancel here; they treat us like we’re a third world country. I hope this year they change it, otherwise I’ll just have to have two phones going - I want a bigger screen but not going into London to my nearest store especially after seeing the queues for the X and 11

1 Like

My office is a 5 min walk from a store, so I’ll go to work for the first time since March!

But really hoping I can do it online without the need for it. iPhone launch always has a queue and they end up very busy in the store, they are going to want to do their best to avoid that.

I’ve seen queues outside recently just because they are restricting numbers, that’ll be 100x times worse on iPhone day.

I feel it’s gotta be online. Normally the queues are just good PR for Apple, this time it has the potential to be a pr disaster

I’m very much hoping it’s online this year.

When you apply in store you are just given the shop assistant’s iPhone, asked to fill in a form and pay £70. All that can be done online without having to queue and touch an iPhone touched by who knows how many people before you

2 Likes

I will be getting the 12 (unsure which model yet) although disappointed that Touch ID will not be built in.

How are you sure it won’t be? The rumours I’ve read still have it as a possibility. I really hope it is, Face ID is a pain these days :mask: