iOS 16

All your devices needs to be on iOS 16.2 or greater otherwise you can’t enable it. This includes old devices which can’t be updated so must be removed from your iCloud account.

2 Likes

iOS 16.3RC also released, includes ambient temp monitoring on the Homepod mini. but you NEED 16.3, Idk why

1 Like

I’ve read that the original homepod had the temp sensors too… but prob not going to enable it for them :confused:

2 Likes

iOS 16.3 (RC) is running nicely. I’ve enabled Advanced Data Protection (all devices and OS versions in my account are compatible) and also secured my account with my Yubikeys.

Not long after I made those changes I lost access to Apple TV+ content and did have to wonder if I’d broken something but it appears to have been a general outage.

2 Likes

Improved battery life?
I mean 16 has been poor for all of us battery wise so far.

1 Like

It’s been fine for me - 2 to 3 days for my 14PM. Not really noticed any difference between 16.3 and the earlier 16s, tbh.

3 Likes

Sadly here both kids on iPhone X’s have much worse battery life and both my and my other half on 13 Pro’s have had much worse battery life since iOS 16.
I was tempted to do a fresh install but given it was so noticeable the other half mentioned it to me makes me think its not possibly something in my profile.

Do you happen to use Homekit at all?

Yes - Eve camera and Hive thermostat & plugs.

1 Like

Thanks at least that eliminates that. I do have a large install of HK stuff with bits from Home Assistant as well.

1 Like

Haven’t noticed my 13PM have materially different battery life either.

1 Like

My 14 pro max had no issues with iOS 16

Having used my new iPad Pro for a couple of weeks, I’ve finally found a good use for my Apple Pencil. Hovering with it is genuinely useful. These demos on Safari and YouTube are great examples.

Also been messing around with Stage Manager. Whist it’s far from perfect, it feels like a huge step forward to not be limited to duplicating the iPad display on an external monitor.

I feel like if they enabled this on an iPhone (when plugged into a monitor), it could genuinely be all the computer many people would ever need.

3 Likes

16.3 came out yesterday, just enabled advanced data protection and added Yubikeys for MFA :nerd_face::lock:

2 Likes

Good start.

1 Like

Managed to set it up and just wrote down my secure key, what’s the worst that could happen? :sweat_smile:

Got my Mrs down as recovery contact so if I somehow lose my key I’m not totally locked out.

2 Likes

Dear god Spotify what has happened. I wondered where my battery was as I had used my phone for a lot less today and was at 10% early.
I opened Spotify in the morning to see if their were any new playlist updates, their wasn’t so I just went back to other apps.

iOS 16.3 with updated spotify and it thinks nothing was background…

Look at this crazy:

2 Likes

Delete and re-install typically fixes this. I’ve had issues depending on the particular beta running (or non if that’s your thing) where a memory leak or background service is killing things. For Spotify specifically, I found that turning off “voice assistants and apps” tended to help - stopped it continually searching for devices it could “connect to”

And maps, so when you are in the car it doesn’t automatically connect to maps and then use the location service to see where y’all are.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Interesting that Uber has live activities in the US but not the UK

Yeah not sure what went wrong to burn through that much battery in a minute or so.