Introducing Salary Sorter and Bills Pots šŸŽ‰

Im not sure how many different ways there are of using summary.

But my point is that a little effort could have gone into refining it and educating people on its use, as most negative feedback ive seen around it, which seems to have led to brand bew features, is that it doesnt do things which its already more than capable of doing

Last week I had 3 incomes from different sources that I used salary sorter on. Just claimed this weeks payment of the second one had set the sorter for (this would be easier with diagrams I think :sweat_smile:) and can confirm it applied the right sort to that payment

Tl;dr it works perfectly with multiple income sources

4 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m in that same boat. Could never get on board with Summary. Partially couldnā€™t be bothered setting it up, so it was never that accurate, and partially because I budget elsewhere.

So even so, having the Bill Pots as a simple ā€œchuck Ā£xxx in here every month and doneā€, I really like, and is more useful I find that just the summary bit alone [if I were using summary properly].

Iā€™ve also gone a step further and set up IFTTT to do pot transfers for specific merchants, so I can have my tube travel come out of a monthly-topped-up Pot too.

Of more than Ā£100 per income of course. I wish it was any income, but then it may get silly. But the ability to allocate Child Benefit income (and possibly other ā€˜stateā€™ income payments) would be beneficial.

2 of my payments iā€™ve sorted are tax credits and child benefit but that depends how many kids you have and if you chose monthly payments etc

1 Like

Good point - if youā€™ve been able to arrange several credits/CHB payments into monthlies, which will then go over the Ā£100 ā€˜salary sorterā€™ threshold per payment, youā€™ll be OK. I personally receive 2x independent CHB payments per 4 week period, but both are sub-Ā£100 so I canā€™t apply salary sorter to deal with them. And one will be ending soon, so no need to restructure for me.

But no biggie - salary sorter (and bills pots) works for my financial workflow very well so far.

1 Like

I guess many was a poor choice of words and an exaggeration. Theres probably only a few, but then different ways among those. For example, the many different ways people use pots baffles me, of IFTTT, all add complexity to how summary works, or at least reducing confidence in the figures summary is telling you.

I think the main difference would be where you want to set an exact overall spending buget to measure your spending against, rather than use their calculation of what you have that is left to spend.

Granted youā€™re right, development of summary could probably acheive some/all of the things the bills pot does. For example, summary for me canā€™t handle the fact I pay bills for our flat but my housemates send me their third. Summary would always tell me I was running out of money. They could probably develop summary to handle that, but it would add more complexity in interpreting summary.

So for me, bill pots are the more elegant solution, and possibly leaves more space for summary to focusing on what I think itā€™s best for which is categorising and setting spending budgets without the complexity of bills in the mix.

What I really like about bills pots is seeing it one place, knowing thereā€™s enough and itā€™s actually seperate from my other money. I dont know summary could ever have acheived this in the same way because of the other things it has going on.

Love the new ā€˜left to payā€™ header abover the DDs for the pot. It would be good if it said Ā£200/Ā£450 or something so you can see a total for that pot.

I have a pot for different kid of bills and sometimes I want to cut back. See a total will give me an idea if my non-essential bills pots is getting a bit full.

6 Likes

Yay, been waiting for that! Much more helpful now. I was surprised this wasnā€™t in at release of bill pots tbh, since itā€™s kind of essential to their useā€¦ Instead I had to go through with a calculator and manually add it up. And if anything changes recalculate to be sure.

I agree, a total overall would be nice too!

Hey, were there any further updates for this that you know of? Just wondering whether I should submit it as a bug report thread as itā€™s still very broken and itā€™s really frustrating having to manually calculate everything. And since itā€™s not immediately obvious that itā€™s broken I can see someone missing out financially because of it very soon.

Left to spend also still breaks the day before any bill pot bills go out.

Havenā€™t heard anything since but maybe @nexusmaniac knows something :eyes:

Iā€™m not sure :eyes: but Iā€™ve asked around :smiley:

I was hit by the same bug at the beginning of the month but hopefully this:

ā€¦ will offset some of the trouble with the Committed spending calculation in Summary for now (if the bug still stands :innocent:)

Iā€™ll let you know if I hear any good news on the Summary side of things though :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Had the salary sorter been switched off still?

Iā€™ve a mortgage refund coming tomorrow for Ā£550 and donā€™t have the option to sort it

2 Likes

I believe you sort it after youā€™ve got it.

5 Likes

If you donā€™t get a notification, tap on the transaction once it lands in your account and youā€™ll see the option to sort the income.

For me personally I donā€™t see this being any different or better than just setting up scheduled payments to the different pots for each payday.
Might be better if it could do percentages instead of values. But as it is (and for me personally) I just donā€™t get what the fuss is about.

Ive thought the same but scheduled transfers happen on a specific date, whereas the payment could happen up to 2 days earlier than expected due to weekends.

With sorter you can trigger those transfers as soon as the money comes in instead of having to wait for the specified date

Where this falls short though is that it doesnā€™t include transfers to other banks, thats why Iā€™ll be sticking with my scheduled transfers rather than using sorter

Salary sorter is the wrong name as it applies this to any income of Ā£100. It should be income sorter.

3 Likes

But that lacks alliteration

7 Likes

Well nothing is perfect. Indeed not the execution of some of Monzoā€™s functionalityā€¦