Introducing Salary Sorter and Bills Pots 🎉

It’s not that I see a downside, I just don’t see the purpose of it. Regardless of whether you have to think about it or not, everyone will need to have the money in their account. That’s the same as currently; and you can use “left to spend” to ensure you have enough. What’s the point of adding extra money to your bill pot for it to be taken out if you still have to keep enough in your main account to cover it? You’re just essentially charging yourself for those subscriptions twice until they’ve gone out.

1 Like

For me, it’s about the comfort of knowing that all your committed outgoings are covered, which means the ‘left-to-spend’ (if you use it) really is what you have left to spend. You currently have to remember to leave enough money in the account to pay for Amazon/Netfilx/Spotift/Microsoft/Google/etc. subscriptions.

It’s all about the comfort zone…

1 Like

But the problem Kim is saying is that it WOULDNT be what you have actually left to spend as you can’t spend the value of the subscriptions still

I can see both sides - the financial and the comfort. The answer of course is to treat your accounts how you prefer. The ultimate outcome would be subscriptions paid-from-pots.

I know it’s been mentioned about removing Bill Pot DD transactions from the account summary screen and I guess this is related, but:

Just had a panic moment, I spend ÂŁ5 on my card, and got a notification saying:

“You spent £5 at xyz, you’ve spent £21 today” - I may have the wording slightly off.

Knowing I’ve only spent £5 that was worrisome.

Turns out it’s a DD that was paid from a bill pot for £16, are there plans to exclude that from the total on the card transaction notification? knowing I’ve locked away money for the DDs, I only need to see the amount spent by me (not DDs from pots), I guess currently it could be off by £10 to £600 now. (If it was the latter I’d have really panicked)

1 Like

Seems to me monzo could have avoided the needed for a whole bunch of features by properly educating people on how sunnary works.

Main balance = spending budget + committed spend

Its all in the main balance but the summary tells you how much you have available to spend in which categories.

Summary covers a whole lot of stuff monzo is trying to make new features for

I use budgets and bill pots. I budget for the amount I will be getting each month but the money comes in on various dates. Bills pots just gives extra reassurance as I can put that aside on my main payday

This is where i think committed spend could have been better, make it invisible on a toggle button. Then its set aside with having to be in a pot

I did feel bill pots were unecessary once left to spend was implemented. But now it’s been released I do see why someone might want that little extra bit of reassurance that the money is actually put aside and you cannot accidentally spend it. Especially for people who aren’t inclined to check their left to spend regularly (I am always checking it!).

Although a little ironic that they moved it to the main screen at the same time as they release bill pots!

1 Like

I use bill pots for my credit card. Remove the predicted from committed spend (since it wont be right) and boom a use for both left to spend and bill pots with no overlap

:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

If you leave it in committed spend it should actually work out left to spend ok most of the time! At least mine does. It only deducts those committed spends not coming from the bill pot from my balance to give left to spend.

However it currently breaks the day before any bill pot payments go out, when it momentarily removes those specific amounts from left to spend too. And my committed spend list itself in summary is completely busted since starting to use a bill pot, or since the 3.0 update (it’s hard to tell which). I believe they’re working in that though?

It would be good if expenses from certain retailers could be funded from pots. This is because some regular payments for me are scheduled but aren’t paid by Direct Debit or Standing Order, they are paid by card.

There are also some that aren’t scheduled but are regular, such as fuel purchases could come out my car costs pot.

This is the purpose of budget categories

1 Like

Budget categories only work for things you’re trying to control spend on, not for things where you need to reserve a known spend - they don’t stop you spending it! My “left to spend” is completely inaccurate and unhelpful if there’s £60 in it that I’ll need to fill the tank next week, especially since that’s a fairly high proportion of my month’s discretionary spend.

As a workaround you can do this with IFFTT :+1:

Thank you. What I’ve created is an applet that says… “If I spend money at [retailer name] then X amount is withdrawn from pot.” I think this is what you mean. It’s not as good as pay from pots but it should work. I’m going to set up a second one for another recurring payment soon.

This is what I do currently :+1:

I’m not a technical minded person, dealing with repeating payments is a bit more difficult to deal with when compared to scheduled payments and DDs, there’s a bit about why this is here:

There’s many different ways of using summary which means it doesn’t carry the same peace of mind as a bills pot does in some use cases. For me bills pots are a fantastic addition because it makes my summary work better for what I want to do with it.

3 Likes

Thats where the breakdown comes in, you have a left to spend for transport, a left to spend for groceries etc, each displayed with a line that shows how far through the budget you are compared with the month

1 Like