Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Is that how you track a credit card payment then? Because technically you haven’t spent your money on any purchase until you pay it off. It’s exactly the same (outside of importing into Google sheets it seems)

3 Likes

If you ignore the sheet and pretend I’m a normal Monzo person, I’d want any Flex card spend to not be showing in Trends/Targets, categorise them as Transfers or anything, just don’t include them in my spend. Then let me pay it off and put as RSPCA each month that my own money leaves my account.

For a practical example, lets say you spend £900 today, Flex it/AMEX or whatever. You give yourself £500 a month spends normally.

Are you -£400 now? But your balance is £500?

Then next month when you pay off 1/3rd, are you down to £200? Or still at £500 because last month you paid it?

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

I honestly don’t understand how it’s confusing because it’s literally done the same way as a credit card. You don’t wait until the end of the month to say you’ve spent that money. Ignore the pay in three part, it’s just a credit card with a set monthly minimum that you can pay or pay more. Nothing more or less than that. You don’t categorise at the end, no credit card works that way.

As for your example, I only spend what is in my account anyway because I pay in full. If I spend £500 on my Amex then I have, for intents and purposes, spent £500 from my bank.

If I spent more than I have then yes, my balance would be negative - because that’s exactly what credit is.

2 Likes

I’d want it accounted for at the time of purchase, so that I can’t double dip into money that’s already spent.

If I had Flex, my accounting would rebalance after the three months.

4 Likes

It’s extremely annoying not being able to split flex payments :grimacing: I hope they roll out a solution to this soon. I didn’t realise that I can’t split either from Flex itself or when I have paid something off on flex and want to split that.

1 Like

Looking forward for Flex to help build my credit report

1 Like

Probably opening all those cards when you turned 18

11 Likes

Also, Monzo will look at your previous account activity to ensure that you can pay at least the minimum payment should you max out any credit limit they might offer you.

They’ll also look at how much credit you already have, relative to your income.

And “building your report” isn’t necessary, it’s something lenders and the reference agencies invented to keep you hooked on using credit.

Just pay your bills on time, and only spend what you have.

10 Likes

Can confirm, my “score” has been stagnant for sooo long and still manage to get whatever credit I want (except the BAPP card but probably because I already have a high enough limit with Amex)

It’s probably been mentioned somewhere but I’ve done an online order at a store, realised it’s not right, returned it in store and bought what I needed there and then, and the refund has gone onto the new transaction not the original.

Not the end of the world, but also no notification at all. With nothing in the feed other than:

It is mentioned when I click into the transaction but a pop up or something would be useful, particularly if I had numerous transactions on my feed :grimacing:

2 Likes

I think it used to show presentments from the merchant as I had one recently but it no longer does.

For sure it does internally, which would be helpful from user end to understand why the balance changed, but then this also used to send customers wild not knowing what went on :joy:

(first post for me, got to start somewhere).

I think this highlights how different people visualise (mental picture) their different balances. I have always treated CC spends balance as a debt that needs to be paid, but seen it as a postive number working down to zero. Mainly because it is physically seperated from my current account. If I merged all my accounts together, I may well show a negative balance.

An overdraft, however, I have seen as a negative extension of my current account. If I am using my overdraft the balance is shown as (and for me visualised) as a negative number. If my balance is a positive, I’m not using the overdraft, though it is still available to me.

For @Revels practical example, yes you are -£400 but you have funds still available to spend, so you could visualise that as a postive balance. But overall it is still an owed debt. Zero balance is not no more credit available, but no debt and no spends.

I think it would be better, for the point @coffeemadman is making, to think of the Flex balance like an overdraft (just minus the charges etc.), so until is paid it a negative balance (Flex does dispaly as negative in its tab/card, its just not merged to the main account like an overdraft)

Hope that makes sense

5 Likes

Does the total spent in Flex take much time to update normally? It is saying that I am at -£475 at the moment, but this should be -£1000. The “available to use” is right.

Should be instant once you’ve picked a plan.

DOH! Thank you. I didn’t realise I hadn’t chosen the plan. My bad haha

3 Likes

Hi folks,

No new features to announce today… we don’t want to spoil you all! But instead I come asking for a favour :pray:

Flex is in the running for ‘Innovation of the Year’ at the British Bank Awards :trophy:

It’s been an exciting year of listening to feedback and growing Flex by launching lots of new features, and we plan to continue doing the same in 2023.

As regular contributors to this thread you’ve been with us on the journey, helping to shape new features through giving us regular feedback.

The award is judged based on reviews from customers, so we’re asking you to take a few minutes to leave us a review.

The winners are announced on 11 May, and we’ll let you know how we get on :crossed_fingers:

Thank you :rocket:

P.s. We’re in the running for Best Current Account Provider, Best Business Bank Account Provider and Best Loans Provider too

21 Likes

Would love to be able to set where each flex gets paid from rather than just selecting one pot for all.of the flex payments.

Just wanted to share that I had a positive S75 claim experience this week with the Monzo support team!

From what I hear, not as easy as others have had from AMEX (full refunds instantly) with the same company in dispute, but much better than others such as PayPal credit (not doing them at all!)

I let the British Bank Awards know @TomMills :laughing: good timing!

10 Likes

Not sure if I’ve ever had a positive experience with Monzo “Support”

Not sure anyone can beat Amex support, always exceptional whenever I have to deal with them.

2 Likes