If you haven't moved over, what's stopping you from making Monzo your main bank?

I hadn’t thought about that! I’ve just set up 10 direct debits! Oops.

Being able to exclude certain categories of spending from the monthly “spending” totals (and from the notifications) would keep my totals clean: Spend tracking and exemptions

1 Like

Lack of integration with third party budgeting apps.

I use PocketSmith to help me budget and visualise my finances. It has a rock-solid integration with HSBC so I’m keeping most of my money there for now.

5 Likes

Hi, the reason I have not swapped is I like the fact I have a hard stop on my spending on the prepaid card.

My reasons:
Lack of Apple Pay
Lack of auto representment of DDs same day
Lack of SEPA payments
Lack of retention of payment references previously used
Overdraft charging model
Lack of interest

I’m hoping most of those will be addressed in the coming months and I can reconsider

2 Likes

I enjoy the notification of DDs because I’m one of those people that check their bank on DD days to check its gone ok. :joy:

2 Likes

Sending photo of passport via app.
I’m not comfortable sharing the other than annotated hardcopy.
Just a security thing.

1 Like

I haven’t fully switched due to better 0% overdraft for the first £250 with First Direct and because I haven’t been bothered to switch all my direct debits (CASS would be good :+1:)

Whenever I’ve verified myself in a branch they’ve taken my doc to the back and done lord knows what with it then come back and said “I’ve sent that off for you”. Assuming this is getting copied and faxed to an office? I think (perhaps growing up with computers, or perhaps just being naive?) I trust Monzo far more than a branch teller to keep my data secure.

Not saying your feelings are wrong (they are right, just adding my 2p!)

4 Likes

I have a lot of DD’s so am waiting for the 7 day switching to be available.
Overdraft wise I would like the first £250 to be free and an arranged one above that only charged at an agreed % rate if used. I don’t like the daily usage fees.

1 Like

It may or may not help with your own peace of mind, but the photo is not stored on the phone and is sent securely to Monzo who have a duty to protect your personal information. :slight_smile:

We now provide bank statements for the Current Account! At the moment you can get one by asking us through the in-app chat, but you’ll be able to create them yourself from within the app soon :wink:

Regarding overdrafts, they’re being rolled out slowly and are currently being tested (you can register your interest here), while CASS is a big priority to get up and running this quarter.

I’ve always thought switching bribes smell a little of desperation, no?

12 Likes

Apple Pay :apple:
Student Overdraft (I need to clear mine before I can switch ;( )

Don’t drive and don’t have a current passport.

I want to switch but getting a new passport I don’t currently need for travelling isn’t high on my todo list.

1 Like

I love all the features and the way Monzo works, but there’s just some key features still missing from a legacy bank that are preventing me from using it for anything more than my disposable income. Case in point being the fact that I got several cheques for my birthday/Christmas which I couldn’t pay into my Monzo account easily.

Also, moving the seven direct debits I currently have would be a massive pain manually.

if you contact support they can look at alternative methods for you, either in app or help@monzo.com

@NewlandA I moved 12 :wink: CASS is on the roadmap, though

I know it’s just me being lazy, but the though of using my lunchtimes to wait on a phone queue with the electricity company, gym, dentist and assorted financial companies is just so depressing!

3 Likes

Have you tried doing any of them online? I only had 2 of 12 where I had to ring up or go into store, the rest just took a few minutes each :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have no view really. Banking isn’t really an item that is bought every day. There is little to distinguish any of the established banks. In the past I have switched banks for very defined reasons.

I started with Lloyds (probably because it had the grandest premises) but 1 chequebook and the charge of over £1 I switched to Williams and Glyn’s (a challenger bank) because of free banking. I would have stayed with them too but I needed an offshore account and Barclays had a branch on the IoM that opened accounts by visiting a UK branch. This worked very well for 15 years but they annoyed me over a trustee’s account I opened for my Mother’s affairs. I switched to RBS because they were having to get rid of the English branches and form Williams and Glyn. This fell through without really informing the customers so I switched to CooP. My relationship with Monzo came about from the desire for cheap foreign currency.

The question is why would I switch? Without joint accounts it is unthinkable. Assuming Starling and Monzo got joint accounts at the same time I would choose Starling because of the interest payable and currently they are appearing more professional. Monzo IMO is not addressing the death of account holder/probate issue in a very structured manner.

So to answer the question about switching bribes I believe that they along with your current bank annoying you are the two greatest incentives to switch.

No they can’t, as if you don’t have those things that they require (photo ID)* then they don’t want to know. Everything goes through the automated system they have with no exceptions. Trust me I tried as going to my parents house is a huge faff.

I have first hand knowledge of this as in the end I had to bite the bullet and go to my parents house just to pick up my passport.

*Drivers licence (provisional included) or passport.

That’s the only two forms of photo ID they take. I already provided paperwork to validate myself on the pre pay account but they was not having it when it came to the current account.

There are plans to make it easier hence the Monzo stance on the unbanked of the world. Right now they are as inflexible as anything.

Automated transfers into and out of pots so I can release my disposable income daily, currently monzo is a pot with automated daily transfers to my starling account. Why not the other way around? Apple Pay has to be on my main account personally.