If you haven't moved over, what's stopping you from making Monzo your main bank?

Sorta mis-typed. Meant for the analytics and predictions rather than budgets.

1 Like

I love the money management and budgeting of Monzo but haven’t switched over fully yet, instead I transfer from my main account. Tbh I’ve got both Monzo and Starling but neither fully meet my needs, I’d like stricter/more detailed budgeting (like dozens) and Monzo needs a few more categories (gifts, charity & savings in particular)- I’m waiting to see whether there’s any changes to either, if not I may just ditch both and go full dozens once they get their banking licence

I just checked, and Dozens now has current accounts. Do they have a separate of dedicated and discretionary spending? I’d love custom categories, but even just more categories would be useful.

The only thing from holding me back right now is monthly fee for extras

I pay £13 a month with nationwide (get cash back with over £2k in the account so can work out as cheap as about £7 a month)

That includes, mobile insurance (covers my iPhone XS Max damage £50 access, lost £100) travel insurance, break down etc. Free £250 over draft and commission free cash withdrawals abroad.

Anyone else have the same that they are not willing to give up? Or does anyone have advise on what to do it I decide to leave that account. Things like Apple care cost ridiculous !

My contents insurance covers my iPhone (and ‘lost £100’ isn’t really much use is it considering they cost upwards 8/9 times that?). And Apple Care isn’t that bad when you consider that iPhone is £1000 of technology.

I’ve never ever paid fees for that stuff, usually get better specific deals elsewhere from what I’ve seen when I’ve checked, these monthly extra add-ons are usually very generic to allow them to be appealing to the masses as, for the majority of the customers, they’ll never claim on them anyway.

Current version:

Love that they have casha and finances separate - and lunch! Though maybe I don’t want to know how much I am spending on that each month! :grin:

2 Likes

i treat monzo as main bank mostly, baring savings and cash deposits where i have kept a legacy account as this is free

£100 excess for loss claims I think he meant.

I’m keeping my salary paid in to Barclays as if I’m ever paid on a Monday, they make the funds available early hours on a Saturday morning. I also make £4 each month from their Blue Rewards scheme. I pay £8.75 for Mobile & gadget insurance, which covers two iPhones, and iPad, and an Apple Watch. I’ve claimed on this several times too.

Also keeping Halifax account open for the £2 reward per month and also a TSB current account open as they are the only bank on my local high street, therefore I can use these to pay cash in.

I’ve moved all my direct debits and standing orders over to Monzo though, and all of my spending now comes from this account.

1 Like

I’d pay £6 per month (the £4 you get from Barclays and £2 from Halifax) to never have to deal with a legacy bank again. :laughing:

I’d probably save more than that being full Monzo and utilising all their budgeting and pots functionality too :sunglasses:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

I understand completely, I worked for Barclays for 10 years, so have seen it from behind the scenes. I also know the right avenues to complain to if something goes wrong :joy:

I’d say 90% of my banking is or will be done through Monzo, it’s just really useful to have a bank account with a branch close by, and also I do find it useful getting paid on the Saturday morning if I’m ever paid on a Monday.

2 Likes

Haha yeah I understand. Plus you can deposit cheques and cash for free and without limits too :wink: :speak_no_evil:

Premium option with insurance etc.
I’d be in then, fully.

I used to have that with RBS but they stopped it not really sure why either.

Im waiting for the ability to have direct debits come out of a pot. At the moment im using IFTTT rules to take money out of a pot if a categorised payment come out of the main account but its annoying if i dont have enough to pay it in the first place in the main account.

3 Likes

Who are you with currently that allows you to pay direct debits from pots?

Any bank ever that doesn’t limit you to one account.

6 Likes

Thanks for that :roll_eyes:

I was generally curious as to who allows you to create pots and spend from them. I wouldn’t want separate accounts either so I’m not sure why you’re saying that.

2 Likes

It was a change in how RBS run their processes. They sent a letter a while back, stating that if certain things fall at the weekend, they won’t be processed until the following Monday. Maybe a cost cutting exercise?