If you haven't moved over, what's stopping you from making Monzo your main bank?

If its not supported in the backend, like Chip & Sign (which happened to me in Portland) it can’t go through. Same as 3Dsecure. It’s as simple as that.

Android pay is available on the current account, on the pre pay account it will never be available.

1 Like

In fairly random order, it’s the lack of the following features:

• joint account
  • International payments
  • paper statements
  • online banking
  • cheque acceptance other than through the mail
  • pin / password / fingerprint lock for the app

I consider the 1st five absolutely crucial core-banking features, and cannot accept a bank account without these for anything else than odd transactions here and there… (and before someone else says this: yes, I can’t wait for the day when paper statements and cheques die in a lake of fire, but we are not there yet, and on my own I’m not going to change that, however much I wish I could.)

6 Likes

SERIOUSLY?! I thought it wasnt lol…
Well ill be damned xd

I love what Monzo offer :slight_smile:

I believe I pay something like 18% APR on HSBC for a planned OD. I sometimes use a couple hundred quid for last few days before my salary comes in which ends up costing me <£1. With Monzo, this small use of an OD will cost a few pound.

2 Likes

For me, this pretty much sums it up for me:

Aside from this, I think not being able to have official monzo bank statement as a form of proof of address. I also wish the Android app was more secure (fingerprint scanner) but I understand this feature is on its way.

Apart from the above, I absolutely love my monzo account and for the first time in my life I was EXCITED to start using it and spread the word about it. It’s made life far easier and I can’t wait to see Monzo’s future state. I would say it’s just a matter of time before it becomes my main account in all aspects of my personal banking.

1 Like

But also having Android Fingerprint reader protection would be great.
If they are programming it in then great but it would equal nationwide for me if it could add that too.

1 Like

The biggest thing for me is lack of an overdraft. I can’t remember the last time I used mine, but I would like one in place for the rare occasion I need one. Prior planning and all that!

3 Likes

There is no compelling feature of my Monzo account which would pull me into making it my main account. My main account pays interest and gives cash back on some direct debits. My spending is done on a cash back credit card and Monzo don’t offer any of these.

My use of Monzo is currently limited to spending on nights out, occasional ATM withdrawals, and spending abroad. These are the things Monzo is good for in my experience. Monzo will add features in the coming year and my usage will evolve appropriately, I expect.

6 Likes

It is my main account and will remain that way however we might swap back to our old provider as the lack of joint bank account is actually really hurting us and adds a lot of admin over the top of our normal life

5 Likes

First Direct give me a 0% overdraft on the first £250, easily beats Monzo on small overdrafts.

Monzo have been very clear, if you have a large overdraft the new fees will be very very good for you. If you use a small overdraft, they may not be that great for you - as in an equivalent APR of up to 869%. Monzo are still working on overdrafts so I am happy to see how they develop.

1 Like

Lack of joint accounts is a game stopper
7 day switching service probably needs to be in place as well
Apple pay would be nice and definitely needs to be on the roadmap but not at the expense of getting joint accounts in place.

Just think of the number of couples who will not switch until this is available !

3 Likes

Whilst I’ve switched my main personal account over, most of our direct debits/payments come out of our joint account. For me to switch the majority of our household transactions over, we’ll need:

• Overdraft facility
  • Joint accounts
  • International Payments/receiving

in that order (overdraft means I can switch some DDs without worry/concern, joint account so I can switch the main household ones and international payments as probably during 2018 I’ll be paid by an EU company).

You’re a easy person to please it seems. :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Second Account
  2. Payments & Payment Screen
  3. Apple Pay
  4. Statements
  1. Apple Pay
  2. Current account switching service
  3. Joint accounts
1 Like

In order of importance for me personally:

1. Monetisation plans
  2. Lack of web interface
  3. Joint accounts
  4. Direct debit timing (only trying once)
  5. Lack of interest

I am not convinced the offering has really moved on from the prepay Beta days. There are so many fundamental banking features missing:

Statements
Overdrafts
Joint accounts
Interest/switching bribe
CASS
Cheques in

The above has been discussed before. I have been in email contact with Eliot yet still the answers given by Monzo staff seem vague. This is not something unique other banks have policy for this, please consult your legal department and publish the procedure.

2 Likes

Poor in-app security (they mostly only need your birth date), stiff heart-vs-head competition from starling bank (interest, no limit overseas withdrawals, faster in app support, feels more secure, more developed on android) and the thought that I still can’t get over the fact that if my phone is stolen, “there goes all my cash” that I generally have with all app-based finance - even if I know monzo cs will instantly block and reverse any charges a thief may take

edit: it’s still damn good though, and even though I do have a current account, I basically only use it to top up my monzo and do debits and stuff

1 Like

this is not missing, you post them to their office (though they don’t have preprinted envelopes like National Girobank did, nor BACS Credit slips to include with the cheque)

3 Likes