How did you first hear about Monzo?

(Richard Cook) #1

I’m curious, how and when did you first hear about us?

Was it spotting a hot coral card at a busy bar and wondering "what’s that all about?"

Was it in an article about the new wave of legacy banks?

Or was it recommended by a friend?

Personally, a lot of people I followed on Twitter were chatting about it quite regularly - back when there was a big waiting list and golden tickets were hard to come by. I signed up pretty quickly… and the rest is history!

But what’s your story?

Community Roundup - 8/6/18

Recommended by a friend when in Beta :slight_smile:

(Andre Borie) #3

I think I read about it on some tech site back in late 2016 - possibly on Hacker News.

(Alex Rogers) #4

My flatmate at university showed me the hot coral card and he was generous enough to give me his golden ticket

(Jack) #5

I was looking for a travel card to take on holiday. Found Monzo on the MSE Site and originally thought it was purely a travel card. But realised shortly after using it the product was a lot more than that and a travel card wasn’t it’s primary purpose. Loved the product so now I’m full monzo.
Since that I’ve passed on the recommendation and got at least 5+ people sign up

2017, an article on Wired on the hottest UK startups

(Adam Kendrew) #7

Early 2016 I think through a Facebook video? Signed up to the beta in March 2016 (#2345) and have been using it for 90% of my transactions ever since! :raised_hands:t3:

2017, an article on Wired on the hottest UK startups

(Jedihomer Townend) #9

One of the guys in the office is an investor, championed it during the prepay so there are loads of us in the office with it…

(Michael) #10

I kinda noticed ‘Mondo’ before the first investment round when recruiters kept bothering me about applying for a job at CrowdCube.

(Simmy) #11

On another forum when asking about which bank to go with.

(Jonathan) #12

Some guy from uni gave us a couple golden tickets in the WhatsApp group chat.

Gave it’s Beta prepaid a go and ran it up to -£7 thought nothing more of it.

Came back and now I’m going #FullMonzo and behaving myself! :joy::joy::joy:

(Toby Toller) #13

Evening Standard article about Money Management apps/start ups around August/September 2016. From memory it also featured Plum and Chip

I was using another internet based banking app and my initial satisfaction gave way to frustration. As my landlord had emailed new payment details I’d thought I’d look at Monzo. Soon I was transfixed by a card running to me shouting ‘On my way!’ Now I’m lost in a coral oasis.

(Izzy) #15

Read about ‘Mondo’ in a fintech article, rest is history

(Kevyn) #16

I can’t remember which article, but it was in 2016 and I think it was about Atom or Starling and it mentioned Mondo near the end with a ‘there is also the fintech bank Mondo’ line etc.

Because at the time Starling hadn’t launched and Atom is, well, Atom. I signed up to Mondo’s waiting list. After hesitating transferring over the £100 at first, I can’t say I have really ever looked back.

(Wayne Tsai) #17

2016, at a Go London User Group meetup, where @matt gave a talk on building a bank with Go (and I thought they were crazy).

I was randomly searching stuff and found this article by @simon

Which encouraged me to sign up for the beta… Then with the help of a friend and some guidance from Simon I made my own…

Would be great to have another hackathon :wink:

(Kenneth Cajigas) #19

I remember I was having a little money of a crisis managing my money and I was just snooping around for options and came across Loot and Monzo from MSE or Techcrunh? And I remember signing up in December 2016 and checking on it every day until April 2017 when I finally got my card :laughing: Wish I heard about the golden tickets beforehand!

Then from Monzo I got into other Fintechs like Starling and Revolut etc and really boosted my interest in the Fintech industry as I loved the combination and the possibilities it could bring :slight_smile:

(Dave) #20

Recommended by a friend who couldnt understand why I was taking cash out to avoid pending transactions.