How did you first hear about Monzo?

I remember exactly. It was this article: Is Monzo the Facebook of banking?

I signed up within minutes of reading it, and had an account a few minutes later and a card two days afterwards. I started using my hot coral card and talking to customer service and I was hugely impressed. I decided to move my Direct Debits over another couple of days after that. I was almost #FullMonzo within a week of reading the article.

The day after signing up, I started reading more about fintech and got a Starling account as well. Because they had a virtual card and Apple Pay, I was able to start using that account straight away (so before I got my Monzo card). But it just didn’t feel as perfect as Monzo, so I ditched that account.

Can’t quite remember - it was back in 2016.

But I remember I’d been avoiding using contactless payments because I was worried it would lead to me losing track of my spending. I probably did a web search for how to keep track of contactless spending and Monzo came up.

I invested in a few Crowdcube-funded companies 2015 and they emailed me on 25/02/2016 to inform me that Mondo were raising £1m to, I quote - “hire more people, develop their IT systems and push marketing and PR more aggressively”.

I am normally a Value investor so this should not have been my cup of tea, but after watching the video with Eileen Burbidge laying her cards on the table about the scale of the opportunity (https://vimeo.com/155098178) and a bit of a google on the founders I was blown away by it. I convinced several other investors/friends that they should back this one, however none of them made the 96 second cut unfortunately.

I didn’t get to have a card or get a sniff of the product for over 6 months because I was on Android and it was Apple only :dizzy_face:

Monzo has come an enormous way in just 2 years and I’m so excited to see what it becomes in another 2.

2 Likes

Was recommended to me by loads of people over at XenForo. There was a thread started about it :wink:

Then someone I did work for sent me a golden ticket (this was during the final months of the beta), and I signed up.

Got the beta card, didn’t use it. Got the current account, didn’t really use it either. Nationwide got rid of my overdraft, I decided to start using Monzo fully :slight_smile:

Liam

4 Likes

I met Jason Bates, one of the co-founders, at a conference in July 2015, who told me about Mondo and showed me his card and the app, which he said only five Mondo staff were testing at that point.

I visited the website later that day, and started reading the blog. A few weeks later I put my name down for the Alpla, which I finally joined in Jan 2016.:grin:

I continued reading the blog, and began sharing it with our graduates at work, as there were some clear articles about banking in general - but with a tone that was unusual for a bank. I particularly remember one on how overseas card payments work. I found the clarity and transparency very appealing - and it wasn’t long until most of my colleagues had also signed up.

1 Like

I saw an advert on Facebook about Monzo when it was called Mondo and immediately signed up. Waited a few weeks and was accepted and then the rest is history. Monzo is now my full time bank.

A friend told me about it when we were chatting on the train in March 2016, she’d just heard about Mondo on Facebook that day. I did a bit of a search and read up on Mondo that evening, and then signed up to the waiting list. Should have got on the waiting list first, as my delay of a few hours cost me several days based on when she got her card and I got mine!

I still remember the weeks of waiting and checking my place on the waiting list, and the excitement when the card was finally on its way. :mondo: :star_struck:

1 Like

I heard from a friend, we had both signed up for the waiting list, I ended up joining during Beta as user #22004, and still made the full-switch to Monzo before the friend who referred me who’s only just made the switch themselves.

1 Like

I was at a CrowdCube birthday party and Bill Simmons, their CFO, showed me his Mondo card and said it was going to be awesome. I managed to get in on the 96 seconds, but like @rarther above, had to wait for Android.

For me it was word of mouth, a guy I worked with sent me an invite to Beta, having never heard of Mondo at the time I had my suspicions of it’s legitimacy so I called him to make sure it wasn’t a scam - he confirmed it wasn’t so I signed up and the rest, as they say, is history!

Someone on reddit mentioned it on reddit early 2016 on r/UK or something similar.

Monzo is quite hot on HotUKDeals at the moment, although it’s been pushed as a travel card.

I thought it would be interesting to find out how people stumbled into the world of Monzo?

I discovered it through my work.
I work for LV= and we had one of our company sized meetings, and they were telling us about these wonderful new startups and we were looking at how we could be more like the companies they were talking about, for example: cuvva, plumb and Monzo.

I am now a regular user of almost all the the startups that were mentioned.

2 Likes

I found out on Giffgaff…can’t fault either company’s.

@0sureal moved your post over to the chat already started on this!

I found out about monzo by chance when it was prepaid card and eventually decided to give it a try !

What’s Monzo?

4 Likes

A tech company I think?

Oh they’re also a bank

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.