Has anyone had an issue with dark video verification?

Hi,
One of my friends joined recently via my referral link the other day & he waited a while for verification, support informed him the video selfie was too dark - hence the long wait (plus it was over the weekend)
He popped into mine to show me his issues. It seems as though the video is only dark within the app, the video is fine otherwise. He has a brand new Google Pixel too, so it isn’t as if the camera is rubbish or anything. As soon as he does the verification video it goes very dark??
Anyone else had this issue at all?
Can he send a verification video to a support email ?
Any help appreciated :+1:

I personally wouldn’t recommend sending any sensitive identification over an insecure medium such as email

Have never heard of the issue before though so quite odd. I’d ask support if they’ve heard of it before, it’s probably quite a common device for registration so if it was an issue relating to the phone or app I’d expect Monzo to have heard of it before.

In the interim he could always sign up using your/someone else’s phone and then logout and back in on his device

1 Like

As these are Google Pixel phones, it sounds to me like the ‘issue’ is that the normal camera app is using Night Sight and the in-app camera isn’t.

Simple fix would be for the sign-up flow to make it clear (if it doesn’t already) that the video should always be taken in a well-lit place, regardless of if your phone normally copes well with low light levels.

2 Likes

He is going to try and use a backlight to see if it improves the brightness, failing that I’ll let him swap Sims to my spare smartphone.
@HoldenCarver funny you stated that about the Night Sight because it’s something my mate said, I don’t own a Pixel but he was saying looks like the app is using my night sight as it’s so dark.
Anyway I’ll let you know if he gets sorted with it, thanks anyway all

1 Like

As you suggested @thomasgoulding2 he simply placed a light towards his face & it was fine - he just text to let me know it’s all ok & has managed to complete his verification. Thanks again guys :wink:

2 Likes

Just thought I would add to this, my mate said he sent a support message to ask advice before he sorted it himself but support got back to him with an “alternative” camera app in order to upload verification. I assume fron this they have obviously had this happen before on a pixel, but great that support got back with a easy fix. Just thought I add this as someone else may encounter a similar issue

1 Like