Google Pixel 2

Does Starling let you install it on this? Would Wileyfox’s security confuse the root checker?

Correct me if I’m misunderstanding, however, I’m reading that as “I won’t switch to a Pixel because I use a Nexus and I dislike the Nexus.”

Remember that Pixel 2 is an all Google, all Android, device. Whereas Nexus is developed and manufactured by multiple other companies.

• Edit: Personally I’ve noticed a HUGE difference between the Nexus and Google devices where the Pixel has a better user experience.
2 Likes

coming from the S8 isn’t a massive difference, but you get raw Android which is great. There are some slight differences in usability where Samsung changed the default Android offering but its largely the same!

Regular patches and security updates are good straight from Google you get them immediately. Rather than waiting months for Samsung to sort something out

1 Like

Isn’t this possible by rooting* any Android?

• Secure as long as the root process and new ROM are peer-reviewed process/files from xda-developers and not downloaded from elsewhere.

Well rooting it doesn’t give you raw Android. I assume you mean rooting and flashing other roms etc? Sure if you want to void the warranty, stop several banking apps working and have other qwerky issues :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Monzo works. Maybe that was Tom’s disagreement with Anne? :woman_facepalming:

Yep I’ve got starling, works fine

Yeah but others don’t :frowning: it’s a bit hit and miss

Others don’t? :roll_eyes:

But once you’ve got root you can modify certain things to make it look like you’re not root to the eyes of the app. :wink:

Which would make your system less safe than the theoretical issues with root! Certainly wouldn’t run a finance app on a rooted and Xposed phone.

I’ve been with Android since the very beginning (T-Mobile G1 aka HTC Dream launch in 2008), and for many years, unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone was the first thing I’d do.

Nowadays I don’t really see the benefit to it for me, but I only buy stock Android devices, so I might feel differently if I had a device with a OEM flavor that did things I didn’t like.

2 Likes

Or if the OEM vanishes, like Nextbit did (when I had my Robin)… or if the OEM just fails to release timely updates, like Huawei (but good luck developing for the Kirin).

Yes, there are architectural improvements, especially with Oreo, to reduce this. But the reality is that a lot of Android’s biggest problems are that major OEMs are, frankly, terrible.

It’s one of the main reasons I got the Pixel 2 (plus the awesome camera). It’s a really great phone I’m loving (though I wish it didn’t have an AMOLED screen, keeping the brightness on the minimum to prevent burn-in makes it look bad and is hard on my eyes, and turning it up makes me paranoid, though to be fair I have a friend who keeps his Pixel [original] VERY bright and after a year the burn-in is there, but fairly minimal. I could probably raise it a notch or two and not suffer too much burn-in).

Anyone tried the YotaPhone 3 with it’s eInk and colour screens?

It’s an interesting idea but very niche.

Last month in California, I tried a demo of this phone - the ZTE Axon M - in Best Buy. It was utterly ridiculous. But I’m sure there’s someone out there who owns one and loves it.

It is totally bizarre, but I suppose for some people there might be some good use cases for it. You can have separate displays, or one giant display (which when used horizontally sort of resembles a Nintendo 3DS), or you can even mirror the same screen onto both panels as in the picture below… Although I’m not quite sure why you’d do that.

1 Like

Okay so I made the jump (loving it!!!) but I’m struggling to find a decent screen protector. I have a Spigen case (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07471C38C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Does anybody know of a case that would be compatible with the lip of this case?

1 Like

I don’t personally use a screen protector but the Zagg ones were good back in the day.

1 Like

I too don’t use a screen protector, however I’m glad you’re enjoying the experience :grinning:

Got my pixel 2 XL. No regrets at all. Wonderful.

I too stopped using any sort of protection on my phone…means I’m less precious about bumps and scratches and just get on with things… Haha

2 Likes

Google just worked with Snapchat and Whatsapp to enable Pixel Visual Core in those apps. (Instagram has utilised it for a while now).

This is the custom image processing chip inside the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL that makes pictures on the Pixel 2 look absolutely phenomenal (highest rated camera on dXoMark).

2 Likes