Google Pixel 2

That is fair enough! Yeah, the Pixel Buds look fantastic. I can see this being very expensive, I think I might have to buy my Wife some flowers first! :wink:

1 Like

2 XL for me, I’m all over that. I love my original Pixel, love it’s quality camera.

When I got my original Pixel I waited for the Black Friday sales and bought through Carphone Warehouse got a right bargain. So I might do that again this year.

I mentioned this in communication with support but feel free to rescind my TestFlight invitation to the current account. I am not able to get an account due to photo ID requirements and don’t want to be taking up a spot that could go to someone who can get an account.

The Pixel 2 looks really good but the prices of phones have become ridiculous recently.

I was a happy Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 user (still think Android is technically superior to iOS) but when my N5 started to have problems earlier this year and i looked to Google for a replacement (i’d never buy a non-stock Android phone) the cheapest Pixel was over £600, almost twice what i paid for the N5.

In the end i went with an iPhone SE 128GB which worked out ~£150 less than the cheapest (32GB) Pixel.

I really wish Google would remember not everyone wants a highest-end phone. A mid-range phone at a reasonable price would do me fine, and it’s one of the things that made the Nexus 4/5 such great phones.

2 Likes

The Motorola phones are cheap and very good. They are almost stock Android. Very little in the way of Moto customisation.

I think the thing to remember, is Google is aiming at the higher-end products like most manufacturers. Google, technically isn’t Nexus so won’t be producing the same as Nexus did, therefore prices and features are likely to be the same as Apple & Samsung if they’re in with a chance, the Pixel in all honesty is Googles first phone, and I think they did well to market it as they did. Googles USP seems to be their AI Learning, Assistant, and Camera.

However on that note, I agree, the prices for Smart-Phones is crazy, the price I just paid for the Pixel, is a months wage for myself, and contracts at £50 PM. And, it’s not just Google, it’s almost all manufacturers now. Google is just trying to compete for a section of the Mobile Market for it’s family for devices.

I am totally with you. I like reading about the Pixel. It looks like a great phone. And i’ve only just now got round to seeing the pixel 2. Its exciting stuff, however regardless of how much disposable cash I’ve got I just cannot bring myself to buy a £700-800+ phone. It seems stupid. Id rather wait a couple of years until the tech filters down.

At the moment I am using a Whileyfox Swift 2. I bought it brand new off amazon for £120. Could’t be happier. Its near stock android, has a fair camera, decent fingerprint scanner, quick processor.

Happy Days

1 Like

Pixel is iPhone territory.

I look forward to a return of the Nexus - essentially a reference design for developers that was affordable with decent, not amazing, specs and ran stock Android :slight_smile:

OnePlus 5 is also a very good phone with reasonable price and great specs. No bloatware near stock experience

2 Likes

Yeah definitely, I’ve heard good things about the OnePlus 5!

1 Like

I use one, and for £500 it’s a lot of phone with 128GB storage, 8GB RAM, Dual Camera (not too brilliant but good) and with fast charging I am content.
I switched to Android after 6S plus (my first one was Apple’s first one iPhone 2G) about two years ago still using iOS on the work phone. I like how Apple has shaped today’s smartphones but I felt iOS got a bit boring over the years.

3 Likes

Not massively impressed with the Pixel line: seems very expensive for not much. I much prefered the Nexus phones but now they’re gone I’m a OnePlus guy.

Also: https://youtu.be/BVKnt7H4zVc

Apparently there’s an android one version of the moto x4 around, which is about the right price + updates direct from google. Since my 6p is on its way out (its usb c port was never well made but now I have to use tape to keep the connector from flying out) that could be my next phone.

It’s a pity google don’t do an upgade plan like apple do… the iphone 7 I use for development (can’t use it as my daily… I really don’t get on with ios) has a monthly cost + repair cover + upgrades for a reasonable monthly fee, which cushions the cost of the phone a bit. If the pixel line had that I’d consider one.

I’m rather intrigued by the librem phone.

The problem with all those “free” (as in freedom) projects is that they focus more on freedom than actual user experience and usability. I personally don’t care how free the phone is, if I can’t even make a phone call it’s a useless brick.

The OpenMoko was an earlier attempt at a Linux phone and it failed because one year down the line it still wasn’t usable (couldn’t even make cellular phone calls).

I’m digging up this topic to ask:

Did any iPhone users make the jump to Pixel 2? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you have any regrets or was it the best decision ever.

I’m an iPhone 7 user who moved to Samsung (S8) last year, hated it and moved back to my trusty iPhone.

Every review I’ve read seems to rave about the Pixel (even past iPhone users) and I’m seriously considering it.

My partner moved from iPhone 6S to Pixel 2 with no regrets! I suppose it depends on what you value but having the best camera of any phone out there is tough to beat - the Pixel 2 and XL (which I have) take absolutely astonishing pictures and video.

The Google ecosystem feels far more futuristic than the Apple ecosystem right now, too. In our house we have Google Home, Google Home Mini, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, Android Wear watches, all working beautifully in sync with things like our Nest Thermostat and Philips Hue lightbulbs. Google Assistant is the glue tying everything together, and the Home and Home Mini are the central control mechanisms of that. Having a subscription to Google Play Music or Spotify Premium ties in beautifully too - I’ve created a group with both Home devices and my large studio monitors (via Chromecast Audio) for seamless multi-room audio playback.

This article is worth a read :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve made the jump from an iPhone 5s to the Pixel 2. Best decision I’ve ever made, only regret was not getting the XL (I was impatient while they were sold-out haha), the Apple ecosystem kept me entangled with their services which is the main reason I moved to an All-Android experience.

2 Likes

Ordered a pixel 2 xl today… I’m nervous… coming from S8.

1 Like

I have a Nexus device I use for testing, and every time I use it I just hate it. I will never imagine myself switching.