Emergency Cash via ATM network

For what it’s worth, Mastercard are rolling out Cardless ATM standards and it should start slowly appearing on UK ATMs over the next year or so. :eyes:

Everything else is banks doing it in-house on their own ATMs. There has been no standard for it until recently.

The most obvious place you should start seeing it is with contactless ATMs that support Apple Pay, Google Pay, and others. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

giphy%20(33)

Super cool! The plastic card is dead!!

This is exciting - I wonder how well this will work. I’ve used something similar abroad and it’s really useful for the odd time you need to pay cash in / out.

Look at the age of alot of ATM’s in the UK.

Most in my area are owned by Note Machine or Cash Zone (Cardtronics) as there are not that many bank branches.

It may happen but due to alot of the UK’s ATM fleet it from thr 90’s and early 00’s don’t count on it. (However they did retrofit chip and pin on some so there is hope)

With card payment becoming more and more popular its most likley not going to be economical to replace them all.

Still voting for this even though I only use the pysical card due to my distrust of big tech. Becuase contactless and pin is better than the card going inside the machine.

BofA has had contactless ATMs for a few years now.

As have Santander, but only for Santander customers, I believe.

1 Like

This is a great idea! Only thing though is it will cost quite a bit as you said already.

1 Like

I did a search, this thread seems about as relevant as any…

I came across my first ever contactless ATM at the weekend. I had absolutely no idea how to use it!

I couldn’t find the metal contactless plate that you usually get on parking machines etc. I dabbed my card all over it, then gave up and put the card in the normal way

:man_shrugging:

It’s quite prevalent in the rest of Europe and I know quite a few ATMs have contactless readers now but I’ve only actually seen it enabled here for Barclays ATMs and its customers

1 Like

I thought UK issued cards and readers don’t support contactless and pin due to offline pin being used in the UK.

Thats why I thought where they have it it’s only for that banks customers.

In my experience it’s normally a raised plate with the contactless symbol on it next to the number pad.

That being said, I’ve only ever come across a handful as there are none around where I live/work.

Only supports their own cards due to contactless and pin not being supported on UK cards. (At least thats how I read it)

See my last post.

Santander have a few of these attached to their branches. To save you trying, if you tap your Monzo card on the reader computer will say no.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a Santander outside their branch.

I’m glad it’s not supposed to work, I feel better about my failings now!

Out of interest, tried it at a Santander branch - Apple Wallet said ‘done’ so the reader accepted the card (monzo debit) and then it asked me to insert the card to access the services

Did the same thing with the physical card too, when tapped

They’re so close. I did tweet them about making this happen and they said they’d pass it along, I know it won’t happen. I also don’t see why it can’t happen, you still need to enter your PIN (so it’s not any less secure, in fact it’s more so as you need to auth via biometrics on the phone before you can tap it)

1 Like

Still here?

I think I was looking in the wrong place

Yes, it is still there and works too

It could be that I didn’t have the minimum amount needed in the account. Last time I looked to try it

I’ve edited the post to save confusion in case someone else comes across it

1 Like

You didn’t reveal the code for me to check if it’s working for you.

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like