Easy to open a pot for wrong account - UX problem

Both me and my partner have two monzo accounts - a joint account and our own separate accounts. Both of us have accidentally set up a pot for our joint account, but meant to set up a pot for our separate solo accounts.

For anyone wondering here is a screenshot of how you create a pot for each account.

What would you’re ideal solution to this @chrissydonaldson?

I’d like to see Joint accounts made into a separate account type like Business where you switch that way, completely segregating them

1 Like

“Create a Personal Pot”

“Create a Joint Pot”

3 Likes

Its almost too obvious… surprised its not been thought of before lol

I could live with both of those, great suggestions!

There could also be a ‘create a pot’ button somewhere amongst the joint account or personal account menus that automatically creates the appropriate one depending on which account you’re looking at.

It is a bit odd that both the OP and their partner scroll past the personal account pot button and hit the joint account one each time :sweat_smile: I’d understand more if it was the otherway round :wink:

Could have turned on Joint Account First in Labs maybe?

Ohhh, that would explain it.

Never thought that it would switch the order of the menu items too :exploding_head:

Oh i don’t know if it does do that or not! Just speculating.

I don’t have a joint account so I can’t test it, we haven’t opened one because of the fact its on the same home screen, it would bother me, i already get annoyed with the extra buttons at the bottom that don’t affect me, if they switched to the account switcher like for business then we’d open one in a heartbeat.

I have a joint account and it is fairly well separated. I assume by home screen you mean that if you scroll through all of your pots it then appears? I do get what you’re saying though as I also have a business account.

T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶t̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶p̶a̶r̶a̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶.̶e̶.̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶.̶

I guess I’m used to it now so I see no issue but I’d still be open to giving it a go.

1 Like

You need a personal account for a business account

I’m used to it but still accidentally always make a pot on my personal first and then delete and recreate on my joint every bloody time :joy: The simple text change suggested above would solve it for me

1 Like

Oh yeah of course you do, what am I talking about :see_no_evil: my apologies I’ll edit that out.

I got confused with the fact that you can’t tap a button to move money between the two accounts like you can with personal and joint.

1 Like

Thanks @ordog.

I see it the joint account options above my solo account options on IOS app - I obviously don’t read the headings!

I do have ‘show joint account first’ turned on in Labs.

I would prefer to see ‘create a pot’ and ‘earn interest on your money’ etc options simply listed once and then when you click ‘create a pot’ it asks you explicitly what account you’d like to create a pot for. Less scrolling too! I could see it getting a little unwieldy if you have a personal, joint and business account on this screen.

Just to say I have had cause to open two interest generating pots in the last month and on both occasions I initially created them in the wrong account despite being a “tech savvy” user, and (on the second occasion at least) being aware of the potential confusion.

The problem on the first occasion was, as has been mentioned above, not spotting the “your personal account” and “you joint account” section headings, pressing one imagining i’d be prompted later.

On the second occasion I did it by swiping right on the list of cards, pots at the top of the main screen until I got to the “things you can do with monzo” card. Because my personal account is oriented to the right of that list, I naturally assumed that card related to that account (in the same way as the pots stack under the account they’re relevant to). Again, missed the section heading and created it in the wrong account.

I really don’t think it would hurt to keep all the UI the way it is now, but just reconfirm the account to which the pot relates to on the following screen. At worst, it’s an extra OK, but I think it would prevent a lot of problems.