Do You Have More Than One Bank Account?

I’d just wait to hear back from Barclays. How are they going to know anyway? No point trying to sort a solution for something you don’t know is a problem yet

3 Likes

They will probably see transfers being made to Monzo account held by the person with identical name :pensive:

True. I have had the Barclays account for two months now and they seem to be fine with it.
Just like to be forward thinking :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see this happening.

Basic accounts may cost them something but frankly paying someone to review “suspicious” transfers would cost even more and wouldn’t make sense from a business point of view.

2 Likes

I can’t see anything on their website about them being against you having more than one account.

From their Ts&Cs here – p39 2:

The Barclays Basic Current Account is a basic account that offers no-frills banking for customers who may not be able to open a regular current account. You can qualify for this account if you don’t qualify for one of our other accounts and/or you don’t have an existing bank current account in the UK

2 Likes

Interesting. But it doesn’t say anything about removing it if you do get another account :slight_smile:

Best to let them clarify without speculating too much. Maybe they could just upgrade it to a standard account now?

1 Like

Reg. closure, further on in the PDF it states

" If this happens, and you remain eligible to hold an account or receive
services from us, we may try to help you find an alternative account or
service which will meet your needs, so that you can continue to bank
with us. "

So I will just keep quiet and if they do say anything I will ask if i am legible for a full account.

3 Likes

It’s so easy you might as well do it now even if you don’t end up using it! Just download the app :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

I think people are getting confused
It doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed another account it means basic accounts are designed for people who can’t get a normal amount for whatever reason

1 Like

You can qualify for this account if you don’t qualify for one of our other accounts and/or you don’t have an existing bank current account in the UK

The and/or is the confusing part and can be interpreted differently depending on their mood.

However I’m surprised at all the time spent speculating about this when opening another modern account like Starling would’ve taken 5 minutes and he would’ve been approved immediately for it.

1 Like

This is something I don’t understand either. My Experian credit score usually jumps between 600 (poor score) and 930 (excellent) every two months. Back and forth.

Weird thing is that my finances are pretty vanilla. I have no mortgage, or car or big expenses and save some money every month

3 Likes

I had a Barclays basic account until i closed it myself through Cass, otherwise it would still be open now despite having a Monzo account, even before then I was using Tesco as my primary account and Barclays basic was still just there, hardly ever used. Of course both Tesco & Barclays are now closed as I used CASS :slight_smile:

It’s to keep you returning to Experian. That’s all.

You only ever really need to check your credit file occasionally to make sure there’s nothing wrong. At the very least, just before you want to apply for credit.

There’s absolutely no need to check the number once a month.

2 Likes

I get it free with my barclaycard! But I know what you mean

1 Like

Every time I try Experian, it breaks. I have no idea what my credit score is, but have never been refused.

I heard checking your credit score can affect it … is that true ?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The Credit Reference Agency does record the fact you’ve accessed your records, but this is in the form of a ‘soft search’ which no one but you and the CRA can see. It’s the same type of entry as when Monzo accesses your records to satisfy itself you are who you say you are, when you open an account. Monzo, and other lenders, can’t see these entries and they have no bearing on your ability to get credit anywhere else.

The entries other lenders can see are those they place on your file recording the fact they have actually lent money to you, and then again when you start to pay it back (or they record if you fail to pay it back). These are called ‘hard searches’.

Ignore the ‘score’ the CRA shows you – only you and it can see that, lenders can’t – and it doesn’t mean anything. The CRAs invented showing you a ‘score’ to get you addicted to checking back with them every month, which earns them money. Monzo (and each other lender) makes its own mind up using the information in your record as to how good it thinks you’ll be paying back any credit.

8 Likes

I’ve removed revolut from my account list as I feel I have more than required I have kept Monese for international transfers also I have transferwise but they are adding more fees on 1st december 2018 so it’s less attractive to use them as fees are for every transaction and not a monthly fee.

I have finally got the curve MasterCard which is a card that works with your debit card and they have elimited extra fees on a Monday to Friday for customers using a card with different currency than the shop your paying in for example £1.00 will cost you €1.13 and no more and for me I save an extra €0.49 as I get charged that direct by the bank if I use the bank issued debit card directly.

Cutting back helps control your finances but you do things that benefit you not cause most hassle.

I gained almost £90 in cashback from revolut but have had so much hassle since I joined them back in January so I’ve decided times up with them and go with places that put me first.

I’ve moved all my UK bills to my monzo account and all my money will end up in my monzo account before I decide where it goes and then I know money held elsewhere isn’t required for bills.

1 Like

The only issue with monzo is they are stopping top ups without having cash deposits so how can you easily pay cash in you can’t and it’s so awkward when you have cash as not everyone is in a cashless society yet